Anyone have a new Esquire?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 8Painting, Feb 4, 2008.

1. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Anyone have any info on the build quality/sound of the me MIM Esquires?

Ive been jonesing for one for awhile, just want to get some second opinions.

If youve got pics, please share, I'm torn between white blonde and black.

2. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Pretty sure it's identical to a Classic '50s Tele except for the difference in wiring/neck pickup. Those have quite a following on the Telecaster forum (tdpri.com).

3. Nashville Slim

Nashville Slim Member

I've got a 50s Classic Tele, and it is perfect (except for the fact that it has a neck pickup hahahaha).

The pickups on the 50s Classic Tele and Esquire are really killer, totally underrated just cause they are stock--I swapped them out for a bunch of more expensive pups, Duncans, Voodoo, Harmonic Design, all good but I kept coming back to the originals. There is something about the stock pickups that are just great. Lower output, but they scream when overdriven. Very toneful.

The fit and finish are top-notch too. I have a bunch of Teles, but that one rapidly became my number one. To the point that I have--gasp!--sold a couple other ones.

Definitely grab one. (I vote for White Blonde: Paul Burlison, baby!)

Here is a little motivation:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=syOLPaMIUlQ

and a touch more...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_Q19HFQig

4. 8Painting

8Painting Member

THanks for the links, as a huge crowes fan I'm very familiar with rich's, i was leaning toward the white just because of how awesome his looks

5. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Great links. Thank you.

6. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I have two NOS Noscasters. Thinking of converting one to an esquire. But am wondering what advantages are.

7. c_mac

c_mac Member

Just wait a whole slough of people will soon show up and tell just how much better Esquires are than Telecasters. Funny words will be used to describe the tone like spongy, woody, and the like.

8. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Esquires are where jangle comes from; never heard of spongy or woody. It sounds differnt than a Tele and all I have now is an Esquire,(I converted my Tele and it was a welcome change.

9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

You need to change your name TELEMAN1 :crazyguy
    Seriously though, what exactly is the change from a Tele to an Esquire? I do like the idea and simplicity of the Esquire, but it seems like all I would need to do is STOP using my neck pickup in my Tele's... no?
    If a new/different pup and/or wiring is part of the equation please provide info. I'm interested.

10. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Yeah Gasp! what about Esquireboy?

Here is whats happening. #1, there is no magentic pull from a neck pickup. #2, there is no electronic,"weight" on the circuit of the neck pickup. #3 one of the three positons is the bridge PU wide open with no tone pot on it;sorta just you and the pickup.

When I was a young man int he late 60's, drolling over catalogues, I noticed the Esquire. I thought why bother? one PU, it is so limited. In recent years I wondered about Les paul Jr's with one PU,again why bother. BUt the mystic is in the 3 items I mentioned above. About 2 years ago, I walked into a local guitar shop and the new Esquires just came out,MIM's. From the first strum, I could tell there was something different. IT was that clean unadulterated jangle. THere is also the mud position that;to get the groove on that,turn up the amp. BUt reallymost of the excitement is in the bridge wide open,the 2nd setting you can roll back for a not so bright rythym type tone. I have an Antiquity in my bridge, it cuts through everything,yet hardly harsh. THere is a huge Esquire thread on FDP which talks alot of what I have mentioned. Another note, I had my Tele, Nashvileized with a split humbucker in the neck and a RW PU in the middle,a pleathra of tone. I converted that guitar to my present Esquire and don't you know,without the other hardware, the guitar is about 1/2lb lighter. Just buy a good used Tele and convert it.

11. Colt

Colt Member

I LOVE the MIM tele's. The necks all feel great...they sound great. I was thinking about getting one and doing all kinds of crazy **** to it....then I decided...why? It sounds great like it is...plan on getting a white one this month.

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

[​IMG]

Love mine. Changed caps, and have a Don Mare bridge pickup. Just a fun guitar, made well, great tones.

13. 8Painting

8Painting Member

*drools*

Nice pic.

14. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Thanks. It's got more wear on it now, I leave it kicking around the house and probably play it more than any other non-thorn made guitar I have.

If I only have 10-20 min to play, usually it's this one.

15. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I just picked up a 2-tone sunburst one. I love it, the tone bypassed position is killer through my vox clone as is the normal middle position. The "neck" position is cool through fuzzface type fuzzes. I like the stock pickup a lot and can't see myself changing it. I might put in compensated bridge pieces to improve the intonation though.