1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by MikeB_18, May 20, 2008.

1. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I've had the pleasure of playing one on two different occasions and I can't get it out of my mind. For what I like from an acoustic, I don't think it get's any better. I played the Collings, Bourgeois, Gibson, Taylor, Martin and other Santa Cruz's offered by the shop and nothing comes close to the greatness of the VS.

The only problem is that I don't have $3000+ to drop on a guitar right now. As much as I'd like to just buy it, my reasonable half tells me it's a bad idea. :puh

Anyone that has one wanna share your thoughts both good an bad?

2. Grun

Grun Member

It's been a #1 on my list for a while. Just haven't found the right deal yet. I already have a few nice acoustics, but I would still love a VS. I really like the short scale on that size guitar. I did play one, and it was a beauty like a knew it would be. One of these days. You don't see them around used much, 'cause I've been looking for a while and I haven't seen many. Like I said, one of these days. People do seem to hang on to them.

3. Peppy

Peppy Member

As the owner of two Santa Cruz I say there's no time like the present.

4. tubetone74

tubetone74 Member

I just got the VS from Artisan in Nashville. Bill and Ellie Warmoth are the best to deal with. This guitar amazes me daily. BTW: I have been through a number of "high end" acoustics.

5. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

6. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I like the burst on that one, very Gibson looking. The one I played has much more of an orange color in the center instead of yellow and there isn't as much of a color change from the center to the sides.

7. Mc-K

Mc-K Gold Supporting Member

a used one will run you maybe 2200. check out larkstreetmusic.com

he had a used one in this price range.

8. sonic romp

sonic romp Member

I had a VS for about 4 years. My style was moving more and more toward fingerstyle and I simply wanted a small-bodied 12-fretter. NOT because the VS didn't handle fingerstyle playing well - it really did - and it took one helluva guitar to sell it.

I had a buyer in the UK lined up for it for 1 1/2 years. I sent him an e-mail and he pounced on it immediately at $2K along with first right of refusal should he ever sell it ;). It's an exceptional guitar and completely responsible for opening my eyes up to mahogany acoustics.

Good luck and stay on the trail...everything surfaces in time.

9. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to my local dealer this week to give it another play. I called them yesterday to ask a question and found out that they've got a Bourgeois Vintage D, Collings CJ (used), The Santa Cruz VS and a True Vintage Gibson Southern Jumbo in stock. I think after playing those four guitars I should have a pretty good idea of which one I like the most.

My original plan, before I played the Santa Cruz, was a Southern Jumbo with an upgraded spruce top. So I think playing the True Vintage with a standard spruce top should give a decent idea as to whether or not I want to pursue that guitar any further or go Boutique.

10. CW NYC

CW NYC Member

Pristine condition, hardly played.

Let me know and I'll post some pics and details.
    Thanks