Anyone have a SVS subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by milli vanilli, Jan 4, 2019.

1. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

have an older velodyne sub, only drops to 39hz, pondering an upgrade. Anyone have an SVS sub? Has been recommended by sales people here, but they are sales people so I’d like real world advice. Much thanks!

2. johntoste

johntoste Member

They're highly regarded by both home theater and home audio people.
    I do not have one. I've been considering adding a sub to my dedicated two channel rig so I've been researching. I need a sub that can accept speaker level inputs. Theirs don't (except for the entry level.)

You can read reviews at AVS Forum and Stereophile and elsewhere on the web.
    You could do much worse. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    milli vanilli likes this.
  3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Look at Rythmik. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

Trust me..... I sell Revel and Paradigm. I don't sell Rythmik if that tells you anything.

Khromo and milli vanilli like this.
  4. hlarry14

hlarry14 Supporting Member

Yes, I have a SB-2000 (somewhat older model) that I’ve had for several years. It’s been great - very effective for home theater (which is mainly what I bought it for) but it’s also very good with music as well. If I needed a replacement, I’d go with another SVS.

5. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

I have two in the theater system, and a smaller one in a basement 2.1 system. Best bang for the buck out there. I would buy them all again. Buy without fear.

6. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

The Paradigm Defiance X series, in particular the X12... with ARC, Bluetooth remote control with smartphone, 650W rms.... is a pretty spectacular subwoofer. Very well controlled, musical and equally adept at home theater. The deal clincher for me is ARC. It's best in class. Room correction is essential for subwoofers. I've got a couple hundred hours of seat time with them now. Sort of surprised you didn't mention these.

If Rythmik shows up at AXPONA in April, I'll check them out. Don't remember seeing them there last April.

Rex Anderson and milli vanilli like this.
  7. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I have the SVS SB-1000 and it's perfectly fine if you want or need a sub. I'm not big on subwoofers so mine gets no use.

8. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Thanks all I appreciate the feedback! Sorry I didn’t get back here sooner, signed up to watch the thread with email alerts and it didn’t work LOL. Anyway, went to a great shop (Abt Electronics) and after talking with a sales guy I decided to change course and upgrade my receiver instead. Glad I talked to him, because it made all the difference in the world. My existing sub (a small, old velodyne) suddenly came alive, and the rest of my speakers woke up as well. Kinda restores my faith that not all sales guys are just out to make a profit. I have used that store before, and they really are top notch IMO. Obviously I’m not affiliated and can delete this if it’s against a rule, but i just think it’s nice to mention a good experience, especially at a mom and pop store (that also does web sales). A little positivity from ole milli. LOL. I will add another sub at some point, but budget restrictions dictate that won’t be for a long time from now LOL

9. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

My bad. I'm an old audio pro/recording engineer and a bit new at the home theater/consumer audio/subs thing. I still have a lot to learn! Coincidentally, I just sold a pair of Paradigm Defiance X15's to a customer who had done a lot of research. After looking more closely at them, I would definitely recommend Paradigm subs. Thanks for pointing them out.

Actually, one of my favorite brands is Revel, I personally own F208's and think the research by Dr. Floyd Toole is the most important factor in producing speakers that measure well and sound good. The issue is internet direct subwoofer manufacturer prices are hard to compete with. One has to be careful of false advertising claims though. Not everyone follows the measurement protocol set forth by CEA-2010.

http://www.brentbutterworth.com/cea-2010-measurement-manual.html

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/cea-2010-good-baseline-bass

Also something Peter Chaikin at JBL Pro told me - all these sub manufacturers that boast extreme low frequency extension are sacrificing output to get to that extension. As you know, it takes a great deal of power to reproduce those low frequencies and Harman feels that getting that extra extension means sacrificing clean undistorted output at the far more audible parts of the spectrum.

I would be amazed if many HT subs are actually putting out clean undistorted sound from 80 to 17 Hz.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    CheckSix likes this.
  10. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

One of the best companies to do business with.

11. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

For clarity, Revel F208's are full range floorstanding loudspeakers. For those that don't know.

Yes, many subwoofers produce horrendous amounts of distortion when playing at normal listening levels. 3% distortion is sort of typical in typical loudspeaker woofers. Crappy subwoofers have 10% - 20% distortion at 20Hz. The sub I use in my main audio system outputs 109dB from 20-50Hz measured at 2m (109dB average in that freq range), at 0.7% distortion. I cross it over to my main speakers at 35Hz. It will still put out 94dB spl at 17Hz, at ultra low distortion. Clean deep bass is a wonderful thing!

Khromo likes this.
  12. wahfreak

wahfreak Member

I have a slightly older PB-10 model. It shakes the house in a good way. There is no need for me to buy anything else.

13. roachone

roachone Member

My son bought one of those. Not sure of the model but its a tall cylinder type. It goes deep and loud for sure!