Anyone have a Tele relic w/ one color underneath another?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mvsr990, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I think I'm going to splurge on a K-Line Tele, have an initial e-mail in about wait times and possibilities. Almost have the money together to finalize it, but now I'm not sure what my request might actually look like.

I was thinking about Sonic Blue underneath black (w/ rosewood fingerboard), so that when it's (lightly) reliced the blue shows through in spots and would show more as it wears.

Good idea, you think? Bad idea?

2. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

If you are thinking about doing this, Fender rarely did a solid over a solid. Usually you would find a solid over a burst if the burst just wasn't quite right. Now if that does not make a difference to you, then do what you want. This is tricky to say for certain how it would relic!? Rubs would show off well but chips and scratches probably not as much. I am game for what ever.

3. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Chris,

Wouldn't you more likely see a blond finish under a custom color on a tele? I would think since the standard color for the tele is blond there would be a much greater chance of that being underneath than sunburst.

Maybe you were thinking of a strat?

Of course, anything MAY have been possible considering the production schedule at the time.

4. rainmaker

rainmaker Member

I've seen some factory refins. with color over color, but yes, most are color over a burst. If it were me, and it's not, but if it were I would do a color over a burst. I also think there's one on the provide.net fender site with two different colors over a burst.

5. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

[​IMG]

2002 CS 57 tele relic, "fiesta over grafitty yellow" finish. 9,5 radius, light V shaved neck... this guitar is now back to fender original bridge & have Glendale saddles & a pair of GVCG staggered lollar's. Under 7 lbs. Unfortunately colors are quite bad on the photo.