Anyone have a Totem guitar from Michael Spalt?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Rebel-Guitars, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Rebel-Guitars

Rebel-Guitars Antique Silver Member

Here's mine. Michael built it a few years ago. He puts different items on top of the body, then covers them in a resin coating. So about half the guitar is a clear resin with your "objects" in it. Mine has a lot of things from my grandfather, his pocket knife, pocket watch, old coins, a picture of him with one of his race car, a ring he made, a money clip, rattle snake rattlers. The neck was ordered from Warmoth in birdseye maple with no inlays, then vintage tinted. The strap buttons are recessed in the body, and the volume pot is a push/push to split the pickup. The guitar came out great, sounds better than I expected, still bright, but very usable. And my grandfathers things don't have to be tucked away in a box somewhere!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Noice 'un, guv'nor...!

Locally we're seeing some. I was jonesing for one called "Big8" which then a friend of mine purchased (grrr...).
    My only concern is about the stability of the resin... one of the last ones which arrived had cracked all around some of the embedded objects. I don't know if it's the heat or what... And I must say that I've had a couple of pretty heavy ones in my hands. I mean HEAVY. Not everyone may like that... but to me a Spalt is first and foremost a "visual" thing. Something I would :eek: hang on the wall.
    I would add a Teuffel Birdfish in it's immediate vicinity, just to make the whole thing more "artsy" ;)

JJ

3. Rebel-Guitars

The body is Maranti, so is has Mahogany tonal quailties, but without as much weight. I've played another one that was way heavy.

4. Ogre

Ogre Member

I think that is a very cool guitar! I wish I still had the little gifts my great-grandfather gave me.

5. Rebel-Guitars

Thanks for checking it out. You should have seen my Dad's face when I told him what I planned to do with his dad's stuff. :confused: Made him pretty nervous, but now we're both pretty proud of it!

6. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Here's mine, Reverse T:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos courtesy of Mr. S.

Ray

7. Rebel-Guitars

Beautiful guitar! Gotta love that red nut! How heavy is it? His prices has doubled since I had mine built. I wish I had gotten another one done.

8. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Yeah, the red dye on the bone nut is a cool touch, as is the vintage switch end. Mine isn't heavy, probably around mid 7lbs. Maybe the redwood back is light? I believe redwood is a variety of spruce.

Hadn't heard about the price increase... I was hoping to do one with my own objects like yours, maybe some of my kids' things. It must be cool to have that personal connection... great looking guitar!

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

He did a series using american flags I liked.

10. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

There was a double hb equipped Spalt in the emporium here not too terribly long ago. IIRC it was either a koa or mahogany body and rather "simple" compared to the above pictured ones. Had I not bought a LP earlier this year I would've probably snatched it up, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Very unique guitars no doubt. :)

11. Rebel-Guitars

Yeah, the American Flag series was way cool. I saw one on Ebay that never sold. It got down close to 1000.00.

12. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I keep trying to get that one every time it comes up, but I always wind up committing a tiny bit too late. :jo

13. PaulM

PaulM Member

What a wonderful piece. Love it.

14. KRosser

KRosser Member

That was originally mine. Michael built it for me. It was a koa top with chambered swamp ash body, solid rosewood neck and Fralin PAF's.

I kinda miss it myself...

15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Not my cup of tea but definitely striking and unique.

16. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah I bought the Totem that was on TGP. I can tell you guys without reservation. It wont be for sale again in my lifetime. Its light as a feather, easily under 7 Lbs. The Fralins are incredible and it plays like butter. Im very impressed with the guitar, and this coming from a vintage snob.
    I would buy another if i didnt have one.

17. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

18. Chrome Dinette

I could do without the big titty lady, but I can put a sticker over her.

19. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Cool guitar. That lady does look out of place with the rest ... who knows what inspiration put those elements together.

20. Chrome Dinette

Well, there is a picture of a melon near the volume control.