Anyone have an Edwards 335?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, Feb 28, 2015.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

I've been trying to look for examples of what 335 type semis sound like with higher output pickups since most people say those pickups kill the "semi-hollow" tone---- is that a load of bs?

the edwards copies have a relatively higher wind seymour duncan Custom 5 in the bridge position
    compared to the low output A2 paf types gibson puts in theirs.

i really like the distortion sound around 4:30, very chunky for a semi hollow

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

I've got the model shown in the video. Never had a Gibby 335, so I can't compare. The Edwards is a nice guitar.

3. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

Not exactly a 335 copy, they have carved tops and a mahogany center block instead of laminate and maple block.

4. still.ill

still.ill Member

interesting--- does that make them sound more solid body like?

5. gmann

gmann Member

I didn't know this. Interesting. I find them to be really good guitars. They are inexpensive used over here as you might expect. I wonder how they can offer a carved top at that price point. Also, I would think they are more prone to feedback, a laminate top would be better in that regard.

6. TTHX

TTHX Member

I've got one and I absolutely love it. You can definitely get great thick distortion tones from it and smooth jazz tones out of it as well. I have not had any real issues with feedback at all. I'd say def grab one if you can! Easiest guitar to set up and made extremely well. I've let go of Gibsons, but always kept the Edwards.

7. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

I don't think you're going to get laminate top 335 sounds from a non laminated guitar, no matter what the pickups are. This is why Collings had to start building his I35 LC, after he realized this. Long live the plywood.

8. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

Not like a Les Paul, but IMO richer and smoother than a real 335 type but lacks the bark and edge from the couple I have played. If you can find what Collings said on this topic, it would probably be insightful as I think he knows as well or better than anybody.

9. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

I got one last week, the sunburst model, purchased on ebay. It took about a week to get to me in the US.

It is stunningly beautiful. The vintage tint semi-satin lacquer they put on it gives it the vibe of a much older guitar, without the faux relic job. This one was $100 cheaper than many on ebay because of a finish flaw. It took me a couple days to find it; there are a couple incredibly tiny places where it looks like they buffed through the brown color right at the edge of the heel - under the clearcoat and doesn't affect anything. The binding does have that sort of vintage-yellowed quality that works very well with the burst finish. The front is plain maple with just a touch of figuring in one spot, like a beauty mark. The back has more figuring to it, a bookmatched subtle flamey curl. Also, I thought the Edwards logo was screen printed on, but it's actually inlaid and has some depth to whatever the material is.

As for the neck, it's very comfortable. Very close to the PRS wide fat, but a touch thinner. Since most 335s have really skinny necks, this one is bigger than those and I'll take it. The nut is probably the best cut nut I have ever seen. Looking at the first fret it looks like it should be hitting the fret, the action is so low. But no, no buzz, just effortless playability. Action is great all up the neck. The Gibson 335s I played, the action was high all up and down the neck and the nuts were all cut way too high. I set it up with my preferred 11s and it totally rocks.

OK, so how does it sound? So far, so good! Anyone unfamiliar with this model, it comes with USA Duncans: SH-1n '59 in the neck, SH-14 Custom 5 in the bridge. The pickups are very well balanced with each other and both sound really good. It's got a more vintagey thing going on than my solidbodies but seems to have all the right frequencies in all the right places. I get some really rocking tones from the bridge pickup, and I get plenty of clarity when chording with distortion. The neck pickup is not mushy and boomy like neck humbuckers can be. I would call the neck pickup "middle of the road." Very usable, nothing to write home about. Kind of a more mellow tone. At practice volume playing with the band, I get no squealing or unwanted feedback at any pickup setting.

The case is also incredibly high quality. The black tolex on the outside has than smoother satin feel that I have only felt on Mesa Boogie amps in the past. The inside is green plush that feels like microfiber, just incredibly soft.

Compared to the 335s I played in store, I feel like this is a total steal. It's every bit as good if not better, and less than 1/3 the price.

10. waylon

waylon Member

I've got a red one. swapped the pickups out, added a bigsby (and custom made plaque) and a crown 'inlay' to the headstock. I love it. I actually enjoy it more than the 2 Gibson ES335s I had. has a '59 feeling neck to me.

11. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member