Anyone have any experience with DiMarzio Area 61 pups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DainBramage, Aug 2, 2008.

1. DainBramage

DainBramage Member

Now that I've got my humbucker prob solved, I'm thinking about replacing the stock neck and middle pups on my MIJ Strat. I have a Duncan JB Jr in the bridge position I'm going to keep. I use this guitar for classic to hard rock stuff and am looking for something that is noiseless, sounds decent straight into a higher gain amp, but doesn't stray too far away from a strat neck pup sound. The Dimarzio Area 61's caught my eye and they seem to review pretty well. One thing I noticed is that they don't offer separate bridge, middle, or neck models. Have any of you used this pickup? I'd be interested in hearing your opinions. BTW, I have a set of Kinmans in a Warmoth Strat I built, and they're nice, especially clean, but not fabulous enough to spend that much money again. I had to wait 8 1/2 weeks for a set of Bill Lawrence humbuckers, so I don't want to go that route either. Nice people to talk to, but there was a few empty promises made and poor communication. Anyway, I hope to hear from some of you.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the 61's are winners. if you want a hotter, but still stratty neck tone, the virtual heavy blues II will rock, and hang with the jb jr, but the 61s are the ticket for vintage-y strat sounds that don't hum, but aren't weak like typical stacked pickups. plus, they're alnico II, so they don't pull on the strings.

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

Dimarzio have the Area '67's out now too. They may be hotter than the '61's.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i think the 67s are designed to be brighter, more like the late 60s hendrix-era singles, but not hotter.