Anyone have any recent pawn shop scores?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AdamSH89, Feb 2, 2015.

1. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

I've heard stories in the past about people pulling vintage guitars, amps, effects, etc. from pawn shops that didn't know what they had for absurdly low prices. However, it seems like with anyone and everyone being able to Google a brand and serial number, those days would be long gone. This thinking sorta takes the fun out of perusing the old Pawn places, taking away that slim hope that you may stumble across some piece of vintage lawsuit gear.

Prove me wrong guys! Give a fella some hope! Any recent scores from a pawn shop pull?

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I got a Taylor 110 for 200 bucks a month ago, and not a pawn shop, but I got a 83-84 Japan Squier Strat for 119 at my local guitar store around the same time. The deals are few and far between though.

3. hogy

hogy Member

Last year's pawn shop expeditions netted a 1966 nickel Colt Python, a pre-29 S&W .44 Magnum from 1956 and a really, really clean 1970s S&W Model 27.

All from 1/3 to 1/2 of book value.

4. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

I got some great deals in the past but haven't been to a pawn shop since the 2000s.

No deals* to be found anymore. In my experience anyway.

*on musical stuff. some buddies of mine have gotten great deals on tools.

5. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

The internet has destroyed the pawn shop find. I have found some killer deals in the past but nothing the past 15 years or so.

6. standard24

standard24 Member

I passed on a MIM Tele Deluxe 72' reissue, (Strat headstock, big humbuckers, priced at $249. Also passed on a PRS SE Singlecut for $263.

Both at pawn shops.

7. n9ne

n9ne Member

I suspect the days of finding '58 gold top for $200 are long gone.

However, there are still deals to be had on lesser-known gear. In recent years I've found a US-made Hamer Californian for $99, a Line6 M13 pedal for $175, a Shure SM58 for $25, and an 80's model Peavey 4x12 loaded with 85W Celestions for $100. My main guitar is an '82 Les Paul XR2 that I found for $700....not quite a steal, but a great deal nonetheless.

You just have to be persistent with it, hit the shops regularly, and know you won't find anything spectacular 90% of the time. Great deals are out there, but don't last long....and if someone else sees it first, then you'll never know the deal was there in the first place.

8. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

Roland Cube 40 with the 80 second loop for $100, hell of a great sounding amp with plenty of volume for small venue gigs and lots of useable effects on it

Seymour Duncan mini tube overdrive for $20
    Alligator volume pedal $10
    Big Baby Taylor with Lace sensor acoustic pickup for $200
    Squier P Bass for $150
    .243 Remington model 7400 in real clean condition with 3-9 x 45 mm scope for $200
    Mossberg Ulti Mag turkey 12 ga $150

9. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I saw a Mossberg Mariner in one on Sat. for $400, which is $100 below market. I always regretted trading mine away, so I might go back and haggle with them.

10. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

This.

11. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Early vintage ProCo The Rat. Pretty much NOS. $35. Its been a few years, but that's probably one of my better finds. Scored a Boss CE-2 MIJ at the same place for $40, had its box, but wasn't in the same pristine condition the Rat was.

12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

i buy their broken gear. got a hr deville 410 non working for $75. changed a screen resistor and the tubes were like new. sold it for $575

13. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I got a Squier P-bass with almost new D'Addario strings on it for $50 last year...here it is: I told the pawn shop guy the rattling sound it had was probably a broken truss rod (I was 99% sure it wasn't ;) ), but I'd take a chance on it for $50 and it turned out to be the tuners rattling. A little super glue fixed that and now it works great...

[​IMG]

14. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

Pawn shops don't take in much decent gear these days. They really don't pay enough for the good gear and there are too many ways to get rid of stuff. Here what is there is absurdly priced. I saw a beat up Yamaha FG700s priced higher than a new one last time I passed through one. They also had a late 70's Fender Mustang behind glass for a whopping $1300.

In the pre inet days there was still some decent stuff. But even then the collectors put a dent in it once vintage became the rage. Right around 1990 or so guitars you could previously buy for a couple hundred all of a sudden had a spike in value. I remember buying early CBS Fender's for $600-700 when people still thought they were junk.

15. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

I picked up a Tascam 414 mk11 portastudio for 20 bucks at the Trenton Rescue Mission Store last August., original box, manual...

Took a chance on it working....didn't try it 'til November...it works great.
    There was also a 6 pack of unopened 15 minute cassette tapes in the box.

I'm wondering if it was one of those package deal sales MF used to have...Recorder, tapes and Mic or headphone combos.

The unopened pack of cassettes has me thinking the recorder might not have even been used.

Not a useful item but a throwback to the day...think they were about 300 bucks 15 years ago.

16. Peteyvee

You do realize that your phone will make better recordings than the Tascam, right? :D

17. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Not really,
    I have an earlier model than the one I bought and we made some pretty damn good recordings on it..it was simple enough to use, fun, and I really learned alot about recording from it back in the day....loved the actual knobs, faders, all hands on.

I don't plan on using the Tascam to record, I bought it because it's near mint, It's on display in my music room with my Viet Nam era Akai reel to reel, blaupunkt 1960 s Derby radio etc.

18. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

Mine looks just like it, pretty damn good bass, I was practicing on it yesterday, starting to be able to do a few runs on it

19. Peteyvee

Yeah, it's not bad. I bought it for Ms Vee to learn on and I use it to play bass on little projects and backing tracks I make for myself to practice to in GB...

20. scott944

scott944 Member

Not so fast ... I'm a long time pawn shopper, and still hit a few most weeks. It is, as every sales manager has told every rep, a numbers game. 99% of the time, there's nothing but junk. Then there's this ...

[​IMG]

$275. 4 years ago. Pretty sure they thought it was an SE. Right now I've got my eye on a $75 USA made Peavey "strat".