1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have any "religious" experiences at live shows? Which ones?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jjboogie, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Not "religious" but...Jeff Beck at the HOB in North Myrtle Beach SC in 1999 was/is the BEST electric guitar performance I have ever seen. By far the best of the 8 times Ive seen him.

jjboogie and $tratcat like this.
  2. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Tool at Ozzfest, maybe 1998? So on point and Maynards voice pierced through with ferocity. MIND BLOWN.

jjboogie likes this.
  3. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

Pink Floyd in Cleveland in 1977 and then The Wall in LA a few years later.

jjboogie likes this.
  4. JB Winterblues

JB Winterblues Member

1992 or 3. Bruce Springsteen and the Other Band tour, closing night at Brendan Byrne. Good show, Bruce sounded great and the Other Band was tight. Sound was better than it had been in years. Then, at the end, Bruce brings out Clarence and Little Steven for the encore. Jungleland was mind blowing. I've never heard a crowd explode like that.

2004 or so. In Pittsburgh for business, Bruce is in town too. I jump on CL, score a GA ticket and get my wristband. 464. They pull the lucky number and its 462. I run in with a dad and his 12 year old kid and set up at the foot of Bruce's mic. We establish a partnership to keep the spot and run for beers, bathroom etc for each other while maintaining the precious spot. Turns out the guy is a steelworker and it's his first BS show. It's amazing, and then he plays "Youngstown" and this beefy, bearded steelworker is reduced to tears while Bruce practically sings it to him in the front row.

5. Brooks

Brooks Member

Wayne Krantz at the 55 Bar in NYC on my 40th Bday. We sat right in front, I could touch Keith Carlocks ride cymbal (he was set up sideways next to Wayne, Paul S was behind them on bass). They would improvise and the music would slowly unravel in to a chaos of polyrhythms and dissonance, then Wayne would glance over his shoulder to cue the rhythm section and BAM! they would lock into a completely different feel rhythmically and dynamically, it was almost telepathic. Even my wife loved it, and she's not into fusion.

6. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Soundgarden - George Mason University - 1996. Rusty Cage

During the breakdown after the 3rd “chorus”. It felt like they were going to split the planet in half with that massive riff.

Noise Under The Floor likes this.
  7. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    No sht indeed. That was an amazing show. Was right down in front of Nick McCabe, watching him command sounds out of his guitar that I just couldn't even make sense of.

flume likes this.
  8. Michigan guitar

Michigan guitar Member

Every time I’ve seen Sir Paul, which IIRC is 5 times now (last time Oct. ‘17). Each time I’ve thought to myself “I’m in the same room as a freakin’ Beatle....” “I’m singing with Paul freakin’ McCartney”.... Probably as close to a religious musical experience as there’ll be for me. Pretty cool.

9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

King's X
    Lalapalooza = pouring rain, they played "Red Rain" by Peter Gabrield over PA and then Jane's Addiction came out.
    Billy Joel in MSG maybe a year or two ago... I forget the song but it was ALL CROWD, super intense moment!
    DMB - I've been to several shows with my wife and there have been a few moments that have been other wordly in their jams, mainly because of Carter.
    I've seen Rush a bunch of times, I know there were some moments in some of their shows
    Dio in MSG when I was about 16... that was ****ing nuts!

10. That70'sBro

That70'sBro Member

The Who, Summer 76, on my birthday. Whole show was great but during Tommy medley "Listening to you" portion (towards end of the concert) they made dramatic use of moving green laser lights spread out like sunbeams. Very uplifting.

Was fortunate enough to have a relative who worked the venue. Got my far back side bleacher seats switched to 6 rows back center :D

11. Whogo

Whogo Silver Supporting Member

Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtles tour.

12. Gibson62

Gibson62 Member

Rush at Massey Hall Summer '75.
    So great to see local guys who were such excellent musicians.
    Just started playing guitar so seeing Alex play live was really inspiring and intimidating.

13. geddyentwistle

geddyentwistle Member

“Ssshhhhh. Let me have the good memory.”

That should be the title of mini opera or medley...similar abbey road or a quick one

supergenius365 likes this.
  14. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

This show http://www.crowesbase.com/tapelisting.cfm?TapeID=738
    When they opened with this song and it just got better as the show went on.

I'd seen them multiple times during the '90/'91 tour for the first album but this was on another plane of consciousness altogether. Went to see them again the next night also.

evildik likes this.
  15. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Pat Metheny and Stevie Wonder.

Doobie Brothers before they were a known band, played the whole Toulouse Street album. Pretty amazing.

jjboogie likes this.
  16. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

Radiohead. OK Computer era, West Palm Beach. The only show that I have ever been to where everyone, it seemed, stood for the whole show just transfixed by the sound coming off that stage. No beer or bathroom runs. It was amazing really...

jjboogie likes this.
  17. jjboogie

jjboogie Supporting Member

I can imagine!

18. jjboogie

jjboogie Supporting Member

I saw Stevie Wonder in 96 and yeah I basically had tears of joy rolling down my face the whole time. It was absolutely INCREDIBLE!

Rex Anderson likes this.
  19. Shredzilla

Shredzilla Member

But at least she's smoking hot.

20. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

On the marquee at Harrah’s, she looked like a young Britney Spears...

That ain’t what came out on that stage.