Anyone have any success with film scores?

RJT

Something that I have always loved to do, was create atmospheric and intense bits of music.. Much like you'd hear in movies, video games, and the like. Have really been considering taking this seriously since a very small third party video game developer contacted me about a few tracks I have written. The guy used to be with SEGA and (after chatting with him for nearly an hour over the phone) asked me if I have ever thought of pursuing a career in that field.

I haven't ever given it thought, to be honest. I've had a few people tell me that I do a good job.. I've sold the rights to a few pieces, one of which was chopped.. Bits and pieces of it were used in a small independent movie. My wife constantly tells me that I should really try and follow something at this point in my life (I've been out of work for 8+ months now with really bad back issues) that I would like to do, since there is virtually nothing to lose.

My question.. Does anyone here write/create film and video game music scores? If so, have you ever had any luck with it? If you have said yes, twice so far.. Care to offer any tips to get your foot in the door?

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Sure, Splatt does. $8.25 from Pandora. :hide2
true;
for one, single cue from one (of the many) film(s i've composed), for one single Quarter of 2013.

i started that thread;
that thread's subject was, very specifically,
"fair play" for internet-performance-royalties.

but, i was paid to do the score for that film, Friday Might Lights
--- paid fairly & well, i'd say.

RJT

I just watched that movie a few nights ago, lol.
The man I spoke with would be paying me outright to create the music. I get a flat-fee.. Sign paperwork stating that I gave them the rights to the music.. And also in the paperwork.. I get credited for the creation of the work. So my name does get out there. I don't normally like to discuss pay on a website.. But.. I'd be getting roughly $1,500 a track. He is interested in purchasing 2 of my current pieces that I have.. And I'd be writing an additional 4-5 pieces. He is supposed to me e-mailing me a copy of everything so I can review it. I plan on having my brother read through it for me, as he is handy with legal paperwork like that.

splatt

I just watched that movie a few nights ago, lol.
The man I spoke with would be paying me outright to create the music. I get a flat-fee.. Sign paperwork stating that I gave them the rights to the music.. And also in the paperwork.. I get credited for the creation of the work.
fee: good.
period of time you're committed to work on the music?

rights to the music?
depends on how much you're getting paid:
if it's not much, then:
they can have an unlimited license to use the music, but ONLY for this one film:
no other commercial uses.

do not give away the Publishing without getting paid for it;
do not give away the Master-rights unless you're getting paid for it.
and:
NEVER GIVE AWAY THE COMPOSER's COPYRIGHT;
NEVER.
EVER.
NEVER EVER.

..... unless you're truly & completely flat-broke,
and you're prepared to become angry & bitter & angry in the future.

your fee covers the work & your time:
but, what about recording or equipment or musicians' expenses;
will they cover them, over an above your fee?
______

usually, the most critical questions are:
a) who owns the Master Recordings?,
b) who owns the Publishing?,
c) who owns the Composer's copyright?

as of this very moment, you still own all of them;
as i said,
i advise strongly to never negotiate away letter c), above.

RJT

fee: good.
period of time you're committed to work on the music?

rights to the music?
depends on how much you're getting paid:
if it's not much, then:
they can have an unlimited license to use the music, but ONLY for this one film:
no other commercial uses.

NEVER GIVE AWAY THE COMPOSER's COPYRIGHT;
NEVER.
EVER.
NEVER EVER.
..... unless you're now completely flat-broke, the money is great,
and you're prepared to possibly become even more bitter & angry than you may be now.

your fee covers the work & the time:
what about expenses; will they cover them?

the most critical questions are:
a) who owns the Master Recordings?,
b) who owns the Publishing?,
c) who owns the Composer's copyright?

at the moment, you own all of them;
as i said,
i advise strongly to never negotiate away c).
Great words of advice. I really appreciate it. I'm pretty new to this kind of work (film score composing) so I in all reality, haven't a clue what the hell I'm doing aside from the actual making of the music end of it. I have well more than enough time to learn though I suppose.

To answer some of your questions.. As I have edited above.. He is willing to pay $1500 a track. I'd have to have them completed and OK'd by this October. 2 of the tracks I already have written and they would want as-is.. I'd be creating 3-4 additional. Seeing as I currently have more than enough free time, I'm sure I'd be able to meet that deadline. I own the rights to the 2 titles that I currently have written.

splatt

fwiw:
some film-composers, like myself, actually call it film-scoring when:
a) the composer is writing to-picture (with dialogue), synced-to-picture, and/or
b) the composer is directly involved in creating music, w/the director's involvement & notes,
focussing on story-arc/characters/emotion/setting & etc.

this thread might interest you.....
..... not so much for my "announcement", but for the discussion which ensued,
re: some of my own specific experiences of scoring.

RJT

Great thread. I spent a good deal of time reading it. Lots of good info there. I appreciate the information you have given me. It seems kind of hard to contact people who willingly talk about their experiences in this field of work.. So thank you for that!