Anyone have any success with the Mayo and humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by justonwo, Jan 14, 2008.

1. justonwo

justonwo Member

I tried rehearsing with my SG through the Mayo last Thursday and I couldn't get much usable sound out of that combination. I tried dialing the sustain as low as I could, but all I ended up with was a compressed, lost-in-the-mix mess.

Any tips out there? It sounds great with single coils. Perhaps humbuckers have too much output for this pedal . . .

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I just sold my mayo because it wasn't my thing, but I got a very good tone with it and the bridge humbucker (WCR Goodwood) on my SG. I did notice that I needed more volume from the pedal when using an SG over my strat (something that never happens). The frequencies that the SG pushed with the pedal seemed to hide more in the mix. Then again, given the name, I'd imagine it was designed around a Strat. That could have something to do with it.

3. justonwo

justonwo Member

More volume from the pedal? As in, you turned up the pedal's volume or you turned up the amp volume?

I figured it was designed for single coils, too, and it sounds so great with them I'm not really worried about compatibility with HBs. It'd just be a nice plus.

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Pedal volume. Though if I was switching between the strat and SG in a set, I'd usually just click on my SHO booster at the end of my chain to bring the SG up in the mix and leave it at that.

5. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

ive never used mine with buckers. But playing strats mostly live, it fattens up my sound so it sounds like buckers. I wonder if the mayo was built around the idea of using it more with single coils.

6. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Does yours have the flat mids switch?

Mine works wonderfully with my LP (Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pu's). I don't gig right now, so I can't speak to that, but I love the sound of my Mayo with HBs.

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

It does have the flat mids switch. I tried both options and still could not get the guitar to cut through. It lost it's dynamics completely. I think perhaps I'll try lowering the guitar volume. That'll probably prevent the pedal from being overwhelmed.

By the way, I'm using 57 Classics, not high output HBs.

8. IAE

IAE Member

mayos just a BMP and BMp's sound awesome with HB's imo.

9. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Mine sounds awesome with humbuckers...what amp are you using it with? The pedal needs headroom and wont sound good through a cranked amp.

10. justonwo

justonwo Member

That night I was using it on the clean channel of my OD-100.

11. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Hmmm - well thats extremely odd. If you have done the basic eq troubleshooting I would give it to a mate to try and see if he has the same issue. If so - I would speak to marc about it.

12. D.G.

D.G. Member

I love the Mayo with 'buckers. I think it sounds better with a Les Paul than a Strat.

BUT...

If you're looking for tight distortion with good touch sensitivity, very amp-like, then no Big Muff style fuzz will do it.

13. Joems

Joems Member

sell me your Mayo =)

14. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I usually play a Strat into Marshalls or Vox amps but went to a jam last week and grabbed my Les Paul with Fralin pups and a '62 Brown Deluxe and the Mayo sounded incredible with this rig. Reminded me a bit of the Robert Fripp sound on the Bowie records.