Anyone have any tips for setting pickup height on my tele?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kidamnesiac, Feb 9, 2008.

1. kidamnesiac

kidamnesiac Member

Just replaced the SCN pickups in my tele with Fred Stuart Blackguards. It's a whole new guitar now.

In order to get the best out of them, i'm wondering if anyone has any tips / suggestions on getting the clearest bell-like tone possible?

I know, I know...experiment...I'm just wondering if there's any starting points...low / high...etc.

thanks!

2. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

If you're looking for clear and bell-like you're going to start pretty far away 1/4" and looking to bring it only close enough for the harmonics to come in. Bring it up until you start to hear the brightness and take real small steps from there.

That's how I'd approach it.

3. kidamnesiac

kidamnesiac Member

thanks! so, when you say 1/4" away, do you mean from the string when pressed at the last fret? Thanks. probably a pretty dumb question i know! ;)

4. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

The most common height to start with is 2 nickels' width from the low E and 1 nickel's width from the high E (Both unfretted-and yes, the coin). Personally I would start there. This is pretty well known knowledge around the Tele fanatic sites. I have Hamels which are extremely similar to the Stuarts and they sound best around there.

The Stuarts are low output vintage style pickups. They can't be too far away if you want good tone from them.

Another thing you can do is email Fatback who has Stuarts in his GVCG Tele and ask him the height he uses. His sound is killer.

5. TYY

TYY Member

I have a stuart blackguard in an esquire- great pickup!

Anyway, for the tone you describe, farther away is better. However 1/4" isn't what I would call "far away". For bell-like tone, I'd start with it almost flush with the bridge (if your screws are long enough) and move up a little at a time until you like the tone. If it gets too middy/gritty, back down it goes. My guess is you'll end up no closer than 1/4".

FWIW, I run my stuart at about 3/16" with the string depressed at last fret, and measured at the center of the pickup. Of course it is lower at the edges (7.25" radius)

6. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Each guitar is different, use your ears to find the right height.

7. ToneJamFX

ToneJamFX Member

I have mine set at about 1/8 from strings with the string depressed at the least fret. This works the best for me. I also play with my volume rolled off, and tone rolled off slightly. That way when i want just a touch more "edge"-ness I bring the volume up.