Anyone have comments on the Fender Champion 600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bbutler123, Mar 11, 2015.

1. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

I'm thinking about buying one to keep at work. I'll only play it clean and use a pedal, but I'm concerned mostly about a speaker as small as 6".

Anyone know if it will take an 8" without major surgery?

By the way, will a Vox Pathfinder take a 10" without major surgery?

Thanks,

Brian

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Path finder sounds great with the 8 in it. A 10 is too big for the cab IMHO. The 600? Get the 6 inch Weber in there,(big improvement) and get some NOS tubes and you can get happy.

3. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Thanks, man. I know the Pathfinder sounds great, but anything smaller than a 10" kinda bugs me? :)

I'm concerned with fullnes (aka bass). I'll look at the Weber, but I'm afraid that a 6" just can't do well enough on the bass. Of course Bose does ok. :)

4. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

It's been a long time since I had a 600, but I remember not liking it. If you get a chance, compare it to the new Mustang amps. They're SS, but have a decent clean, and using the FUSE software you can dial in most any reverb, some effects and they have a molten metal tone too. Sounds larger than the (small) 8" speaker would suggest. I don't remember that being the case with the 600. Try 'em at least.

5. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Seriously, buy or have built and extension speaker. You could probably use it for both if they are 8 ohm. That would give the ultimate tone of the 10 inch speaker you choose. All you would need is a short speaker cord to plug either amp into it. I have the Pathfinder without reverb. Has a blue dog it it. Freaks me out how good it sounds.

6. Faraldi

Faraldi Member

I've had both and I also popped a Ragin Cajun in the Pathfinder (it fit but it was tight).

I much prefer the Pathfinder completely stock. I know that doesn't help your issue with the small speaker but it just seems that amp wants that speaker.

7. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Well, thanks. I have a couple SS amps- a Pathfinder and a Fender Frontman 10", but I have nice tube amps at home, and after playing the SS amps for a while, I realize I deserve to have a tube amp at work too, not just SS. I've heard the Champion 600 and I loved the tone, except for the smallness of the sound. I could live with that, but...... I have a couple 12" extensions, but that's kind of big/hassle for work. Thanks for your output. I BET the Mustangs sound fabulous, but I really need a tube amp if I'm going to play it very much at all. (my SS amps are great for short playing times though. Both of them actually) :) The clean tone on a Fender Frontman is as impressive as the fabulous tone of a Vox Pathfinder.

8. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Honestly, I can believe that. I've wondered about that very thing.

9. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Yes that speaker IS freaky. I love it. The brown - colored Bulldog is good too, in the newer Pathfinders, I guess.

10. e???

e??? Member

Love my champ 600 stock. Play it for solo gigs all the time. Beautiful and warm. I tried a jj for the 6v6 once, and didn't like it at all. Stuck the stock tube back in. I always try to recommend it, but people on tgp don't seem to like it much. I'll never understand. But I hate devilles, blues jrs, and drri 65's and some people swear by those, and will never understand my dislike. So go try it. I think it's the most perfect apartment amp there is.

Ud Reks likes this.
  11. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

This could be a budget breaker, but if you get a chance, try one of the Fender EC VibroChamps. They are pricey new, but you can find 'em used on eBay and guitarcenter.com for $600-ish, and they are both small in size and great sounding: 8" speaker, 1w/5w switch, plus hi and low inputs, so on low power/low input, the volume is fairly tamped down, and of course on hi/hi it's got a lot of bark for its size. Nice, deep bias-based trem, too. Takes pedals OK with the stock Weber smooth cone alnico speaker, but if you want more headroom you will also probably want to change speakers.

I didn't need another small Champ-type amp, but I bought a used EC VC at a good price, and I have no regrets about that. They are killer little amps. :D

12. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Yamaha THR10 ($300 new) or THR5 ($200 new).

13. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

As good as the Yamaha THR series is... ain't tube.

14. WDeranged

WDeranged Member

I prefer the 600 for clean sounds and the Weber (ribbed) speaker seemed way too dark for me, great for higher gain stuff though.

I ended up putting in a Jensen 6" which sounded very much like the stock speaker but with a bit more brightness and punch, also some NOS tubes from Watford Valves. Now it sounds very classy and authentic to my ears, one day I might try and cram an 8" speaker in there...

15. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

Replacing the speaker cloth made more of a difference than changing out the speaker to the Jensen.

And yeah, the amp sounds pretty cool through a cab.

16. WDeranged

WDeranged Member

Oh yeah, ditch that velour crap if you're handy with a staple gun.

Get some proper cloth on there and you instantly gain clarity, the stock cloth also vibrates noisily.