Anyone have experience with Alto Black 10s?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by lscottk, Apr 13, 2016.

1. lscottk

lscottk Member

I have to replace my Alto TS112 because the amplifier is failing. I use my Alto with a Fractal Audio AX8. I previously had a pair of QSC 12s, which I liked okay, but found a bit harsh on the high end. I am considering purchasing a pair of Alto Black 10s at Guitar Center for $770 for the pair. The price is great as the street price is around $600.00 each. The only problem is Guitar Center doesn't have a pair at my local store (they have to ship them from a faraway store) so I have no way to test them for myself.

There are limited reviews of these speakers online. What little information that I could find suggested that they are fine speakers, with very smooth mids and highs, and decent bass, even with the 10s. I'm wondering if anyone here on the Gear Page has used them for amplifying a guitar modeler/profiler. If yes, what was your experience with them? Did you like them? Was there anything that you didn't like?

Thanks for thoughts and opinions.

2. aizenx

aizenx Member

Yikes. Any idea why it is failing? Just curious why you'd consider that brand again, given this reliability issue. (sorry i don't have any experience with them...)

3. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I dont think I have ever seen the Alto Blacks, at a gig or at a store. Looks like they are blowing them out now.

4. lscottk

lscottk Member

I bought the TS112 that I have used from GC about 3 years ago. I paid $125 for it. I got 3 good years out of a used piece of lower end gear. I've giggled with it regularly. Even now it works. I mentioned an amplifier problem in my OP. That is actually inaccurate. TS112 has two inputs. One of the inputs has developed a bad hum. It sounds like a grounding problem, perhaps from a bad solder joint. I figure that even the best gear can have problems. I don't fault Alto in this case.

aizenx likes this.
  5. aizenx

aizenx Member

Gotcha. That's a good thing. I'm actually looking at an Alto 210 for a FRFR solution. I'm just on the fence, hoping it will be reliable. I agree, sounds like your problem isn't due to the design of the amplifier itself (which is what threw me). Thanks for the clarification :)

6. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Alto is blowing those out for some reason. Feature set looks really impressive and the few reviews I've read are very favorable. If you are serious about the Blacks I would get at least one of your speakers here
    https://reverb.com/item/885964-alto...0-watt-loudspeaker-with-wireless-connectivity

Alto Professional is the seller and it's "like new" for $299
    If you contacted them, they would likely do a deal for you on two.

7. lscottk

lscottk Member

I actually like my TS112 a lot. I've been dealing with financial issues for a while and the TS112 has served me well as a reasonably priced way to keep gigging until the dust settles. The only thing that I have ever found to be an issue is that the TS112 seems a bit underpowered. If you are using it to compete with a Marshall stack in a metal band then you will probably find that the TS112 is over matched. I just use mine as a personal monitor while also going to FOH. So I don't crank mine during gigs. Even saying this it is still loud enough to contribute to my tinnitus.

I am looking at the Alto Blacks because the price is excellent and I want to have a pair to use as mains. I am also trying to be proactive because if the problem with my TS112 turns out to be more serious I don't have a backup.

If I could just hear them first... I decided to pull the trigger anyway. GC has a 45 day return policy so if I don't like them I'll just take them back.

aizenx likes this.
  8. lscottk

lscottk Member

Thanks for the tip about Reverb.com. I'm going with the pair from guitar center. They have a factory warranty and 45 day local return. They cost a bit more, but the peace of mind makes the added expense worth it to me.