Anyone have Fender Lace Sensor Pickups in their Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dmarkj22, Feb 20, 2012.

1. dmarkj22

dmarkj22 Member

What has been your experience? Are you happy with the tone you can achieve with them?

2. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I'm not really a single coil guy but I like the golds in a 01 Clapton I own, but not with the boost knob turned on at all, and prefer the tone knob on 5 rather than 10...

I didn't care for the blue Lace PU in the bridge or silvers in another Strat Plus I owned. That one has a rosewood board and the guitar is muffled sounding to me and there's not enough highs even with the tone knob on 10.

Jeff

3. arothamel6360

arothamel6360 Member

I'm with Smakutus as far as the Lace golds. They're definitely a different sounding single coil. Dead silent in a properly shielded guitar and if you enjoy the tone then each variation has a lot to offer.

4. johnfv

johnfv Member

I love the Golds in neck and middle position. I need something hotter in the bridge...

5. paulsroland

paulsroland Member

I have an '88 strat plus that came with 3 golds. I replaced the bridge with a red and like the tone a lot. The red is really versitile and can go from clean to very hot with volume knob adjustments. I replaced the neck with a blue, but it had too much bass. I switched it back to the gold.

6. imastratoholic

imastratoholic Supporting Member

I've never cared that much for the lace golds, but some of the other "colors" have been pretty good to my ears. I really like the red/silver/blue combo that come in the strat plus.

7. scolfax

scolfax Member

FWIW It seems like everyone was in love with the Hot Golds a couple of years ago.

8. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I had a set of Hot Golds in this strat. Bought the loaded body from a forum member. He liked them more than I did. I will say they sounded pretty good in the neck+middle position. He had some noise issues in his house for a while... a grounding issue. These pickups were actually more quiet than some humbuckers.

I actually don't think they are bad sounding set. I prefer them to a guitar with Dimarzio HS2s and HS3 and I prefer them to EMG Ss. Not sure about SAs.

And something to keep in mind is they are suppsed to be VERY close to the strings to work as intended. Like pretty much as close as possible without the strings touching them when fretted at the highest fret.

[​IMG]

9. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

I have a Strat loaded with Hot Golds, I find them quite acceptable.

10. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

A few years ago I had a partsocaster loaded with 2 golds and a silver model in the bridge position. I eventually sold that guitar to a buddy of mine. Recently I was listening to a live recording done when I had that guitar. My first thought was I should have kept it. It sounded great, really raw and ballsy. What the hell was I thinking? They were far better pickups than I thought at the time.

11. Jimishrine

Jimishrine Member

I have a Warmoth Strat with Chrome Domes, a TBX tone and a Clapton mid boost circuit. I like them. They are very quiet, but not true humbucking, except in positions 2 & 4. I usually have the mid off and the tone at 5 and it's a bit mellower that a typical strat. Moving the TBX or Mid boost just a bit makes a huge difference. If I am running the amp on the edge of clean and max out the mid boost on the bridge pickup, it almost sounds like I'm running through a TS9. The mid boost, if used sparingly, can take a bit of the edge off of position 2.
    [​IMG]

12. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

I have a set of Holy Grails in a MIJ '50s hardtail strat. I like them very much. They are very clean, clear and bell-like. They work well enough with my amp's overdrive. They take pedals exceptionally well.
    If I ever equip another strat with Lace sensors, I'd probably go with something different just for the variety, but I'm glad I started with the Grail's and won't be changing them anytime soon.

13. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I have various different colours in different Strats. The golds are the most 'authentic', if traditional Strat tones are what you're chasing. The Blue is much darker, like a fat P90; the Red is quite a harsh, high powered humbucker tone; the Silver and warmer, throatier Strat; the pale Blue warm and jazzy; the Purple a little more 'Texas'.

Different horses for different courses: I love the clarity of them, and appreciate the different flavours, but I'm not necessarily chasing 'standard Strat' tones. They have their own thing going on, but it's a thing I very much like.

14. JJ321

JJ321 Member

I've got a set of red/silver/blue in my Strat. I like the red in the bridge, but lately I haven't been getting along with the blue in the neck, so I've been looking at replacing them with an HSS setup.

15. SFW

SFW Member

I have a Red/Silver/Blue set in my strat. I love the Red. It goes From scream to clean with the knob. I'm thinking about putting the Silver in the neck and getting a Gold for the middle. The blue in the neck might benifit from a 500k tone pot. I'll have to see. I really like them. They aren't your standard single-coil tone- a bit fatter. They work well for me and what I play. I'm thinking about setting up a pickguard with a set of Golds for studio work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  16. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I've got em in my '91 Strat Plus. I really like them but they have their own sound. For me it's just always been the sound of my strat and I like them.

17. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I have them in my Strat Ultra which is hands down the best Strat I have ever owned quality wise. Everything on these guitars which were Fenders top of the line model from 90-99 screams CS. The guitar comes with 4 Lace Sensor pups a Blue in the neck that delivers a warm high output tone on par with a P-90. The middle pup is Silver which has a fat single coil sound with more midrange and the the bridge has two Red Lace Sensors which were the hottest pups placed side by side that act like a humbucker or could be split with a mini toggle the guitar comes with. Even though Fender did a good job of shielding these guitars in the factory I always had issues playing this guitar in environment that had a lot of fluorescent lights or poor wiring as it would get awfully noisy. As stated before to get the most out of these pups you have to raise them as high as you can till they are right under the string for them to really shine.

18. cob666

cob666 Member

I really liked the sound of the red pickups. On a whim I ordered a Lace alumitone pup, liked it so much I'm in the process of replacing all my pickups with alumitones.

19. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Care to tell us more about how they sound - always been interested to know, but most of the online clips I can find are so knee deep in OD or gain, it's impossible to really tell?

20. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I had a set of Hot Golds in a Strat and Tele for several years. I have swapped them out and sold them.

Good points: Low string pull, almost noiseless, very easy to swap polarity so they can be used with standard Strat or Tele pickups. Reasonably priced.

Bad points: They just do not have the oomph and character of standard Fender pickups. Not sure why; I tried really hard to like them and ignore this as they have real benefits. But in the end they just left me flat, and made the guitar sound a bit boring. When I put in standard pickups, the string pull and noise came back, but so did the liveliness. I'm much happier now, as the string pull and noise can be managed.

Maybe part of it is they sound a bit compressed, and I do not like compressed sounding pickups very much. But they are worth a try, you may love them.

I used a Lace Sensor Red for awhile, and it was an interesting pickup. All the crunch and warmth of a standard humbucker, at 1/3 the output. But that wasn't a problem if you use a boost, and when boosted properly it is a monstrous sounding pickup.