Anyone have info on the Fender Custom Shop Master Built Two Tone amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Feb 17, 2008.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Looks pretty cool. Would love to know what they sound like. I'm tracking one on ebay.

Housed in a solid Pine cabinet with converging lines of Blonde and Black vinyl and detailed in gold piping, this amp is one of the most unique custom pieces we've produced. It's not all about looks, though-Fender Special Design Eminence speakers drive killer tone through the Two-Tone's unique trapezoidal front panel.

-15 Watts into 8 Ohms.
    -Two EL-84 Groove Tube output tubes
    -Three 12AX7 preamp tubes
    -1x12" and 1x10" Fender Special Design Eminence Speakers
    -Single channel
    -Fender Reverb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure those were nothing more than a Blues Jr. chassis in a different cab. Fancy cosmetics and a pair of mismatched speakers (one 10", one 12") were the changes. The "Soul of Tone" book makes a brief mention of these.

3. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Yep. That said, enlarging the speaker cabinet on this amp has a positive impact as anyone who's run their BJ into a larger cab will tell.

But it is still the same circuit board, components and OT as the Blues Jr.

Kind of like when they took a PCB Bassman reissue and put it in a pine cab with 2x12's and called it a BassBreaker, an obvious reference to Marshall's "BluesBreaker" reissue.

EDIT: I just checked the price $1,195 opening bid/buy it now for a used amp based on a low-cost, mass produced, Fender PCB amp with stock Fender Special Design Emi's? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I love the little Blues Jr - I own two NOS tweeds, put a Celestion G12H30 in one and it SINGS!

But I also paid no more than $450 each for them NEW.

And I owned a 45 watt BassBreaker (see above), bought it for $650 used in mint condition, and it's a good thing. When I went to sell it a year later, I ended up having to take $600.

4. davebc

davebc Member

Geez, a sheep in wolfs clothing.
    The Custom Shops's guitars get friggin better and better! But you have to watch yourself with the amps.

5. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Thanks fo rthe info. It's now off my radar! :D

6. JPenn

JPenn Member

I always thought those looked cool!! Maybe get Mojo to buiild you a cab and slap in a Blues jr chassis?

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I played one a GC a while ago when my buddy was looking for a new amp. We both thought the amp sounded great and there was a small crowd gathered around as we tested the amp and they were like "what the hell is that thing".

I quickly figured out that it was a tricked out BJ judging by the control panel layout and the 2 el-84's but it sounded MUCH better than its little brother.

8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

LOL! Very well put, Dave.

9. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Blues Jr in fancy clothes :D

Any number of builders could make you a cab for a BJ chassis for much less than the Two Tone.