Anyone Have Luck with Cubase LE, iBook and Firepod?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bscepter, Oct 6, 2005.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've got a 1GHz/640MB iBook running Tiger. I've done plenty of recording with GarageBand 2 and my Tascam US-122 interface.

Now, with my friend's Presonus Firepod, I've been trying to run Cubase, but I get tons of crackles and pops, as if the CPU were being hit hard. The VST CPU meter shows nothing over 20%, however. Plus, this seems to happen when I apply real-time FX, such as compression or EQing, to the channels.

Here's the weird thing: it only happens when the FirePod is connected. I can mix multiple channels with real-time FX when the FP is disconnected. Also, i can record along with pre-recorded multi-track stuff with my 2-channel Tascam. No problem.

Is it a Cubase issue, a Firepod issue or a CPU issue?

Help!

2. d7music

d7music Member

Check the Clock source:

(From the Firepod manual:)

Pops and Clicks
    The light on the front right panel of the FIREPOD is a clock (sync) indicator. It lets you know if your unit is
    receiving word clock correctly. Word clock is the manner by which digital devices sync frame rates. Proper
    word clock sync prevents digital devices from having pops, clicks, or distortion in the audio signal (due to
    mismatched digital audio transmission). If the symbol is solid blue, this indicates that your unit is in sync
    with the PC or a S/PDIF device that is plugged into the S/PDIF input on the back of the unit. If the light is
    solid red, this indicates that the FIREPOD does not have sync from the computer and that the unit might
    not be connected properly. If the unit is flashing red and blue, the unit is not receiving external sync. This
    would be caused by the clock source in the FIREPOD control panel being set to S/PDIF with no S/PDIF
    sync source coming in. Here are the three different light modes broken down once again:
    Blue – solid sync
    Red – sync not present.
    Flashing Red and Blue – external sync not present

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

Thanks. Yes, the clock is fine -- reading solid blue.

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

You might have the firepod's internal clock different from the Cubase project.

You could have the buffer set too low.

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

How would that happen? With the Mac, there are two places to set the clock either to "source" or to "mac," one is in the Audio/MIDI setup utility and the other is in the Cubase prefs. Any idea?

Thanks again...

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Just make sure the Audio/Midi setup and Cubase prefs. are set to the same sample rate. Sorry, I'm not a Mac guy so it might not apply. Changing the project sample rate won't necessarily change the audio device SR. They need to match.

I just noticed that part about the plugs making it worse. That sounds more like a latency issue than a SR mismatch. Try increasing the buffer size.

7. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I'm not a mac person either, but clicks and pops are usually a buffer problem.....................