Anyone have noise problems with JJ ECC803?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by S.A.M., Feb 20, 2006.

1. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I've had a JJ ECC803 in v1 of my Jubilee for a few months now, and have noticed some inconsistant noise the last few jams. I pulled out the ECC803 and put in another tube, and the noise seems to be gone. But since the noise is inconsistant to begin with I'm not 100% sure that its the problem. ANyone have any problems with JJ ECC803s?

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

I've never tried that tube but interestingly enough I have heard others mention they had some noise with those tubes too. Maybe it's just a fluke. Not every tube is going to get through Q/A plus you never know what may have happened to the tubes after they left the factory either.

I'm not sure how a tube can be tested for noise except through an amp and guitar. Maybe Blue Strat or some of the other tubes guys can weigh in on that. Perhaps noise is a valid test with some testers.

3. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Doesn't that tube have a longer plate? I had trouble a while back with an amp rejecting many longer plate 12AX7's.

4. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I'm not sure. I didn't have any problems for a few months. I got it from doug at www.dougstubes.com .

5. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

I tried a JJ ECC803S in the V1 of my Mark IV over the weekend and noticed that it was making a fizzy, static-y type noise when I played. I've also read a couple of posts on here that allude to the same phenomenon. Last time I buy one of these preamp tubes! :Spank

6. electroid

electroid Member

The JJ ECC803S is a good tube but some guidelines should be followed. This is indeed a large plate tube. This means (among other things) that it will be more likely to be affected by shock and vibrations. In my experience, it is best used in low to medium gain heads and hi fi amps. Combos tend to vibrate the tubes more than heads.

A Mark IV would not be the best place to use any large plate 12AX7 tube, especially in the V1 position.

7. pepperco

pepperco Member

I use the 803S in V1 of my Marshall. Its spectacular there for my taste.
    I have 2 and they both sound the same and work great.

I don't think these are bad or low quality / faulty tubes.
    Maybe yours is worn out, or in the wrong amp or tube
    position.

8. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

I'm also getting some noise, like a rattle of some sort, from both my ECC803S JJs when I place them in V1 of my Blackbird.

So I swapped it for the new Tungsol Reissue and the noise went away. Now I've got the Tungsol RI in V1(which sounds better than the JJ anyways) and the JJ is in V3 (reverb recovery).

Was kind of disappointed. The tone is nice, but I can't have that noise.

I also got mine from Doug's Tubes.

-Lution

9. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

It was one of a set of tubes I bought to experiment with in the V1 slot. It claims to be a "high gain" tube, but maybe such a high gain tube should only be used in low gain amps? Just for the record, I have a Mark IV head, not the combo. You're right about the plates--they are very large by far compared to the other brands I have.

10. vinni

vinni Member

I've got 803's and the ECC83...also the higain version.
    No problems.....

I must admit....I'm very intrested in that Tungsol reissue....

Vinni

11. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I have the JJ 803 in V1 of my TopHat Club royale right now, an EI in V2, and a Tung Sol in V3. all pretty much noiseless. I am going to try ECC83S for V2 & 3 in the next few days. I am using JJ El84's for power. I really like the JJ's in this amp with this combo of tubes, good balance and punchy!

Joe

12. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I bought a quad of these to retube one of my preamps. 2 of the four were noisy as hell, but the other 2 sounded great.
    Maybe just some QC issues?

13. Dave Cowley

Dave Cowley Member

I had a JJ ECC803s make horrible staticky noises in my Knucklehead Reverb 100. Couldn't get it out of there fast enough. GT 12AX7Ms, Tung Sol reissue 12AX7s, and Sovtek 12AX7WAs are all trouble-free in that amp.

Having said that, I think those same JJs are terrific in my THD Flexi and Univalve! So I think it depends on the amp and application whether those tubes work for you.

14. theirflowers11

theirflowers11 Member

I use a JJ ECC803s as the pi tube in my clubman, i havent had any problems. I did have an EI 12ax7 die after about an hour of playing, it sounded amazing until then :(

15. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

:( I really liked the tone for the first few months, but I had to take it out because of the noise I started to get lately,.