Anyone have or try the ZVex Nano?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ryan, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Ryan

Ryan Member

The more I'm looking at this little thing, the more I want one! I think it'd be pretty hilarious to have an amp mounted on my pedalboard! So, anyone use one of these little guys?

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Yup, had one for about a year. OK tone, but sounds small and harsh compared to the Emery Superbaby. Since the price of the Emery isn't that much more, I kept it and sent the Zvex packing. Sure was cute, though!

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I tried one, and nearly bought it - but not quite. It was very cool, but not useful enough for me at the price (I don't think it's overpriced though, for how it's built).

Don't buy one thinking it will give a conventional 'big amp' sound at low volumes - it doesn't, despite what ZVex says. It has its own distinctive raw, fuzzy, slightly harsh (in a good way IMO) and very characterful tone. The controls are also extremely interactive, and you can't always get exactly the tone you want, or at the volume you want.

I felt it was like one of those pedals you find which is really cool and makes you smile every time you hear it, but which is difficult to integrate into your normal rig and range of tones - it does its own thing, and if you want to use that for inspiration and base something new around it, you'll love it. But not for a variation on something you've already got... kind of exactly like his pedals, really.

I wouldn't rule out me owning one at some point though.

4. WhosYourPal

WhosYourPal Member

I had the Nano Head for about a year and have to agree with the previous two posts. It got a cranked sound at low volume but it wasn't a "full" sound.

5. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

i think it's a great recording amp. nice to have in your arsenal.

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

It blows minds at Tonefests when you plug it into a big ol' 4-12 cab - it actually sounds pretty good that way.

And I think it has it's place in recording. But not really for playing out.

Fun little unit, but as others mentioned, it's only useful for certain limited things.

7. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I got a Nano Amp about 6 months ago and think it's great. However, it is what it is, and that's a 1/2-watt novelty practice/recording amp. I agree with John Phillips, whole-heartedly. When I play the Nano Amp, I'm playing it for its own sound, which I like. I'm not trying to emulate any other tone. Although Zach says it can be sort of a "micro-Marshall," I would say it really has its own tone, which is in that arena, but definitely different. Also, speaking of tone, I play it when I want low volume distorted tone. If you want low volume clean, I would say look else where. To get a decent clean tone (and I mean "clean," not on the edge of break up, etc.) on the Nano Amp, it is barely audible. Well, it's definitely audible, but not what you would consider a working volume. In conclusion, if you dig it for what it is, get one. I did and don't plan on ever parting with it (plus, I got it in cool silver sparkle!). But, keep its limitations in mind.

Cheers,

John

8. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

I could not agree more. Well put.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

10. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Most definitely! I've thrown my Tim, OCD and Fish Factory in front of it. I really like the Fish Factory with the Nano Amp for some screaming tones (bad pun intended). As far as non-overdrive pedals, I've also used my Analogman Clone Chorus with good results.

John

11. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Oppera

This band named Oppera uses a Nano amp and a host of peddles. There are samples from their CD on their web site see link above click "music". They sound pretty interesting.

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

13. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I've played one. Was really cool sounding with a Les Paul,
    and 4 12" cab. That little amp does pump.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

that's more than enough of an endorsement for me... :cool: