Anyone have/played a Fender Super-Sonic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by _B_, Aug 6, 2008.

1. _B_

_B_ Member

I was at guitar center today trying one of the new Les Pauls, and I plugged it into a blonde Fender Super-Sonic 112 amp and was actually blown away. I read all the info on Fender.com about the amp, but I was wondering what people in the real world thought of it? Good? Bad? Am I crazy? :crazyguy

2. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If your into classic rock and hard rock stuff its great! I have the head version and think its the best distortion(actually it is the best distortion Ive heard)from a Fender. Ive read the Prosonic rocks on the distortion channel too but never heard/played one. Picked my head up at a steal for 599$ new-clearance at GC. Theres a thread (or two) already about it. Heres one. Bob

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=203210&highlight=Supersonic

4. Ascension

Ascension Member

I owned a nice Blond Oxblood Super Sonic head for a while. I found it to be a nice rig and it was MUCH better tone wise than my Marshall TSL head was!
    With a good set of tubes and the correct bias those are really solid performers!!
    I have owned a Prosonic combo for years and prefered the tones of the Prosonic to the Super Sonic. When a Prosonic head came along for a resonable price I snagged it and sold the SS. I would like to have a SS combo though.

5. Ascension

Ascension Member

Just noticed where you were from B! Nice ta have another member from Birmingham on board WELCOME!!

6. _B_

_B_ Member

Haha, thanks. The Birminghamians must rally! All 2 of us!

--

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about picking up one of these amps. The only fender amp I have is a 212 Hot Rod Deville from like 1998, so I suppose I can reason with myself that I might as well add another fender to the collection!

7. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I love my SS as well. I had to bias it when I bought it. It can easily get into old-school Metallica with a clean boost as well.

8. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

I have played a couple of SS amps at local stores. I realy like the Bassman channel and there are lots of tones on the O/D side. The Vibrolux clean channel seems a little thin and there is a volume drop when you switch to it.
    The only other issue for me is that it is LOUD. It certainly isn't a practice amp, but if you are gigging it may be great for you.

9. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

It is loud, I tame it with a Hot Plate and it is great for practice!

10. telecopter

telecopter Member

I use mine at gigs all the time. Sounds good to me, and others have commented the same.

11. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Everytime I plug into one I fall in love with it. I've never owned one but I've played a ton and they sound really great.

And so do the Red Knob twins (just picked one up...)

And so do the Cube 20's...

And so do the Kustom Coupes....

And so do Boogie Lonestars....

And Blues Deluxe....

And JCM 800's....

and...

ARGGGHHH.....so many great amps, so little space in the music room!

Seriously, it is what it is. Looking for nice Fender cleans, Bassman growl and a very usable dirty channel? SS rocks. Doesn't do a lot of other things well but it's very good at what it was designed to do.

12. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

I think the OD is good, but i dont care for the clean channell.

13. _B_

_B_ Member

Well, I think I'm pretty much sold on one. I'm going to eBay a PRS hollowbody II to fund it.The guys in the band I play with are going to be THRILLED (sarcasm) when I show up with another new amp! haha.

14. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Well, I've owned both the new Vibrolux and the new Bassman, and the SS doesn't even nail those, let alone the originals. And don't even get me started on the cheesy distortion.

I guess if that's what you're looking for in an amp, this one's supposed to be good and people do seem to like them, but it would NOT work for me. Different strokes...

15. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

Seriously folks, the SS is a great amp. It's not made for bedroom wanker guys. You need to be playing at gig volumes for it to sound its best. Not cranked, but reasonably loud. IMHO, too many amps on this site are trashed due to people trying to get great sounds out of gear not really designed for low volume use. Don't get me wrong, the SS can give you a decent sound at low volumes. It just wasn't made for that. Make sure the bias is set right and gig with one. You'll see what I'm talkin' about.

16. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

We disagree on the "cheesy-ness" of the overdrive channel, however...

The vintage channels nned a Jensen speaker to shine. You're not going to get a Vibrolux or Bassman out of a V30. I plugged my BJ speaker (Jensen C12N) into the SS, and WOAH! The vinatge channels are MUCH MUCH closer. I actually ordered a Weber 12F150 (his version of the C12N) to put in the SS, but I'm loving the Burn channel with the V30 so much, I haven't made the swap yet. But seriously- if you're buying the SS for the Vintage channel, a speaker swap should be a serious consideration.

Also, I use an Airbrake with mine... and it sounds very good. I always prefer to go un-attenuated, but 60W is alot of power...

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I almost bit on that comment. Might as well share my thoughts. I buy all my amps exclusively on thier dirty channels first. A decent clean is all I need. That said the I feel the SS has an truely great dirty channel. I guess I have cheesy taste! Oh wait I do-at least with this clip! Actually I just wanted to demonstrate its "heavy" ability. It does lighter dirt even better.Bob

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6125448

18. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Especially with a 5751 in V3, which is what I did! (I never need the heavy distortion.)

19. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Like I said - I PERSONALLY think it's cheesy, but I also don't do anything with high-gain. As a Fender, this is a weird amp. As any other brand amp, maybe no so much. When I think of Fender amps I think of clean channels that can be overdriven by pushing the power tubes.

So really, you should probably disregard all of my amplifier-related opinions if you're a high-gain kind of guy. It's completely a matter of subjective personal taste, but I find the "gain" channel of just about every amp to be pretty cheesy. Until they make one that sounds like a Deluxe Reverb being run at 10, I'll probably always dislike them.

20. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Ahhh..I see. What the heck I am truely a bit cheesy. I listened to "Hair Nation" (an 80's metal staion on Sirius) all day today and loved it! All high gain and ,well a good portion of cheesy lyrics-not all of them mind you. Some 80's bands had interesting lyrical content. Either way it didnt matter as I dig the format. If thier werent high gain amps I wouldnt be as into guitar as I am. Bob