Anyone have problems with George L's unplated brass plugs?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tubthumper, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Tubthumper

Tubthumper Member

I've heard a rumour that George L's unplated brass plugs can corrode or tarnish, potentially leading to connection problems. Anyone had first-hand experience of this??

2. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

As do many metals, brass oxidizes and tarnishes. It is very easy to keep this from being an issue by periodically cleaning the contact points with an anti-oxidant - like CAIG DeOxit (or some such, I'm sure there are many other wonderful products) available @ Radio Snack (sic) and many other places as well.

If you like the George L's unplated brass and want to use them, I certainly wouldn't let a little unavoidable oxidation keep me from it.

3. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Been using them for a few years now without a problem.
    Every month or so, I unplug everything and twist a little 0000 steel wool around the plugs to shine 'em up and they're good to go.

I did have problems with the plated plugs years back, that's why I switched to brass. The plating started flaking off the plugs into my pedals after only 6 months, plus the plated ones are much harder to screw the cap all the way down by hand (had to use pliers). I think the plating "tightens" the gap on the screw threads making it tougher.

4. thezeng

thezeng Member

yeah mine turn green around the edges.. heh. they always crap out on me! george L's hate being moved

5. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I have has the same GLs unplated brass plugs on our testing rig for several years and use it dozens of times a day and no problems. I may have cleaned the plugs once but not often. Redoing the connection every few years might need to be done but the plugs' surface seem fine.