Anyone have slat wall to hang guitars at home?

RRfireblade

Seems like a lot of wasted expense and wasted wall. Plus, it's not terribly strong unless the "hooks" are very wide or used in multiples. I guess I'm saying it's just not a very good idea IMO.

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
It's MDF with a melamine overlay - I'll stick with "String Swings" into a stud. 16" centers is not too tight for guitars.

Multicellular

It's MDF with a melamine overlay - I'll stick with "String Swings" into a stud. 16" centers is not too tight for guitars.

Me too. And if you don't have studs spaced well, put a ply board across into the studs where they are. I put one up about 6 feet long reached 3 studs. Was about 3/4 inch ply.

Also I think Hercules ones are the best.

RICFREAK

Thought of using slat walls before. But it cost 5 times more than steel mesh.
Of course slat would look better. Hangers for slats are also quite readily available. Installation wise, I feel that steel mesh is easier. It's stronger and have more flexibility in terms of hanger spacings.......just my 2cts :p

tumblr_nbnsniLZYu1qc3g8bo1_1280.jpg

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Thought of using slat walls before. But it cost 5 times more than steel mesh.
Of course slat would look better. Hangers for slats are also quite readily available. Installation wise, I feel that steel mesh is easier. It's stronger and have more flexibility in terms of hanger spacings.......just my 2cts :p

tumblr_nbnsniLZYu1qc3g8bo1_1280.jpg

^^ grid wall is much more versatile than slat wall.

I would not do it just because it would be such a reminder of my days in the retail trenches.

Rhomco

Making UPS, FEDEX and USPS richer every day!
Gold Supporting Member
I use the aluminum 8 foot slat wall rails from String Swing. Nothing stronger or better in my opinion.
Rob

Peeb

For those including pics- thank you so much!
I'm idea shopping as well.

For those NOT sending pics:
:worthless

:D

Zakko

I had six guitars and a bass at one point on a 8 foot run. I spent a good 3 hours on the install. I triple-anchored every stud, with washers, purchased some good quality hangers and for 6 months, was awesome.

23788_112541512100796_5953709_n.jpg

I was awoken at 4am one morning to a crash, a broken headstock, and a bunch of dings. Apparently over time, the front lip started to delaminate and everything went down at once. It probably didn't help that I installed on a shared apartment wall...

I strongly recommend using individual hangers like the String Swing directly into studs.

Multicellular

Sorry I don't have a pic handy, but that is basically what mine looks like.

The wood is in the studs in 3 places, two of the hangers are thru the wood AND into the stud.

My toddler swung on my resonator once before I yelled at him without damage to anything.

halcyon

I really dislike the idea of leaving my guitars hanging on the wall to collect dust when I'm not using them. Personally, I don't find it all that inconvenient just to pull them out of their cases, where they're far better protected. Hanging displays are for guitar shops, imo. :)

Digitalman

Before the days of having only 3 electrics (and 2 boys) I had seven or so guitars on slatwall hangers. I found some in a maple laminate at a retail store reseller in town. I ripped a 4x8 sheet down to 1x8. It was plenty sturdy, with just screws at every stud it spanned. I lived 3 different houses with that setup. But, the music room got turned into a nursery eventually.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom