anyone have the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by regotheamigo, Oct 11, 2005.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I think I am going to get these in my strat to replace the hotrails that are in there now. If you have them, what is your take on them. I will be playing them threw 100 watt Marshall type amps, and just wanted to make sure that they were a good fit. Thanks

2. HHB

HHB Member

I use their Virtual P=90 in the neck of a McInturff and LOVE it, and was gonna get a set for my strat style but in the interium I tried a set of GFS "texas" alnico staggared, in a word fantastic, the best strat tones I've ever got, the price is almost unbelievable and I will be leaving these in this guitar for a long long time

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I don't have them, but I think I've decided to put a set of Vitual T's in my Tele. Only problem I've observed, not a lot of people chime in on these pickups...:confused:

But I've seen some people that have been real pleased with them.

I'd like to hear more...

4. HHB

HHB Member

I dunno, Wayne Eagles is a heavy hitter TGPer and he's been talking DiMarzio to anyone who'll listen. I've got a set of DiMarzio PAF's in my LP custom, they kill. I had a guy email me about the VP90, he got one and loves it, but he also added that TGP wouldnt get DiMarzio love, I'm sure the DiMarzio guys love reading this LOL

5. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Supporting Member

I have a set in my G+L Strat (same as Wayne actually, so we sometimes agree on a few things ;) ). I think they are great.

They are slightly warmer than a stock Fender style pickup (but the G+L has bass and treble controls that allow you to tame this), they are quiet, articulate and sound great.

Not sure why, but they do require some kind of special wiring to make them "quack", but I don't really use that tone, so I just wired them in place of the old G+L pickups I removed.

One of these days I'll cut some new soundfiles.....sigh

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Andy & Bill :D ;)

I have tried a range of DiMarzio VV designs in my G&L Legacy (my main guitar).

I do like the stock G&L Legacy alnico single coils, but simply need something quieter.

I had a VirtuAL 2 set in for a long while. They're great, if a tad more aggressive - perhaps nudging a bit into P90 territory (as the VV Solo pickup certainly does). Perhaps a bit better for beefier (or OD) tones over pristine cleans - kind of an old Blackmore vibe. Really great - they were used on the Milligan-Eagles Project CD. These pickups will soon go in another guitar.

As I'm doing more clean-toned gigs these days, I'm trying out the 2.1s in neck/middle w/ a 2.2 in bridge. Just got them in, but pleased so far. Very much a more vintage Strat design, as folks like Scott Henderson and Adam Stark have noted.

Might end up mixing and matching between these pickups, for example 2.1s w/ the VirtuAL 2 bridge, etc. Time will tell.

Must add that DiMarzio has really amazing customer service and even a return policy... Tres cool.

7. FUSER

FUSER Member

A few years back I used DP401 (not 100% sure). I liked the sound. Both clean and overdriven. I forget why I let it go.

A few months ago I got a set of V V 54s (DP 405, 405, 406). Got it off ebay wired and ready to go. These are brighter and great clean. The 2, 4 sounds are some of the sweetest I have heard (My allen amp also has something to do with that :cool:). The only dissapointment is the neck is a little shy on bass. I get it that they are supposed to be like that. Overall a great noiseless set. All positions usable.

Before that I had Rio grande Tallboy, halfbreed, muy grande.
    I would say they were better than V V since they had a great overdriven sound. But had the noise.

8. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Yeah this is what I am going to get

Virtual Vintage solo pro/bridge
    Virtual Vintage middle
    Virtual Vintage neck 54

These seem like they will be a sweet combo:)

9. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

To those of you with the G&Ls, I have an old (early 80s) G&L strat style guitar called a S-500 (I think), and the string spacing is a lot wider than on a regular strat. Or most other guitars for that matter ;)

Any idea if these pickups would fit something like that, or if the G&L models you have are standard strat dimensions?

The pickups on mine are pretty hot, maybe more so than HBs, and not particularly strat-ish to my ears so I'd be interested in trying something else in there.

10. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I decided to try a real mix in an ash/maple Strat: 2.2 neck, Blues middle, Solo bridge.

I'll be completely happy once I hear back from DiMarzio about how to get the quack back. But in the meantime, I gotta say they are wonderful sounding pickups.

I've got them set very close to the pickguard instead of anywhere near the strings. Very bell-like and phat.

11. somedude

somedude Member

Interesting choice.

I have a Vert Blues I still have to stick in the neck of mine, but I was planning on using a 2.2 for the middle position (I have a Super Distortion in the bridge).

What do you think of the 2.2(n)+Blues (m) setup?

12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Neck and spacing are pretty wide on mine and the radius is rather flat (I have flat over staggered pole pieces). Best to chat w/ DiMarzio about their recs - they could find a fit or customize something, I imagine. They also have a range of blade-type designs from more vintage to aggressive sounding that may work (haven't tried them, myself).

13. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I have some of the original virtual vintage strat sets on my grosh retroclassic. have had them in there since I bought my grosh in '99. have had no issues with them. the sound nice.

14. Mike Schram

Mike Schram Member

Beware!!!

I had a Solo in the bridge and it was very bright! Almost shrill..

15. DreamTone7

DreamTone7 Guest

I've got a VV '54 in the bridge of one of my strats..."phat" is the word. More so than any other single-coil I've used. Nothing harsh about that version in that position.