anyone have the HBE power screamer with the........

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blues Wail, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

fat boost and the BURR BROWN mod?? comments? mine should be here any
    time say's Joel. really lookin forward to the increase in bass when the boost
    is engaged as well as a smoother,warmer,rounder tone!:AOK

2. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i'm surprised at literally nary a comment here. actually without those mods
    the power screamer kills, has nobody aquired one with the bells and whistles?

3. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

I've got a black tolex Power Screamer, but wasn't aware Joel was doing mods to them now. How much does that cost?

4. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

20 bones for the fat boost, and 16 for burr brown mod. i love this pedal but always thought the boost was
    a lil bright for my liking. the burr brown chip should make the o.d. significantly smoother!

5. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

6. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

well 61 people viewed this post, so............. when i receive the power screamer this week, I will give a review on the modded version:BEER

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Mine came with the boost already installed. Frankly, I wouldn't want this pedal to be any smoother, as I love how it adds aggressive bite without a lot of extra distortion. When I need it to be smoother, I run a compressor in front of it.

8. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I agree, I love the grit of the PowerScreamer just the way it is... I wouldn't mind trying the fat boost, though. I just don't want to take it off my board long enough to send it in!

I bet the Burr Brown mod would sound cool on the Big D; I wonder if the extra smoothness would get it into Carlton/Ford territory?

9. cvansickle

Ain't dat da trudt!

10. mockoman

mockoman Member

I've got one w/o the fat boost.Looking forward to your review...

11. royd

royd Member

+1 for the PS! Mine has no mods to it and is fine just as it is. I also have a King of Tone on my board and in the middle position of the mode switch, the PS sounds very, very similar with a bit more gain available.

12. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

got it today! added bass on the boost side?? you said it! smooth?? neil schon with a touch of carlos! this
    pedal does it all. i was messin with china grove chords and punched in the boost for the solo, the burr brown not only makes it smoother, but warmer, rounder, more open and much more like your amp! man
    this pedal beat's my TTS and is right there with my faves, zen and "E"! thank's joel! great work!

13. stratoquack

stratoquack Member

I had mine done a couple of weeks ago and I think the fat boost makes a tremendous difference. With the Burr Brown mod, I can tell it's a little smoother. All in all, it does exactly what Joel said the mods would do.

14. cvansickle

I get a pretty fat tone with this thing without the boost engaged when I play a Les Paul. With my Strat, the fat boost helps more.

I held out on getting a Power Screamer for a long time, amassing almost every other HBE pedal in the process. But now, I'm find the Power Screamer to be my favorite pedal, even topping the UFO!

15. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

yup! and he is so freakin great to deal with. for me the mods made a good pedal great! couldn't be happier!:BluesBros

16. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i have the PS, the germania, the big D, and the UFO, gonna get the chorus next!

17. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i just ran the power screamer against the E, and the cactus crunch, the HBE sounded
    the most open and of course in the middle toggle position the least compressed.
    all settings @ 10, middle toggle and fat/switch on. (toward me)! may not but the blues pro now!:)

18. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I took mine to the Houston Pedal fest. I wanted to stick it up against a real TS-808. I knew it was in no way, shape, or form, a clone, but I was pleasently supprised at the clearity and depth that remained as opposed to some of the other pedals there. We went straight past the norm to mondo-fuzz and stayed these for most of the time. Considering some of the comments about some of the other pedals there the Power Screamer came out pretty favorible considering we never really A/B'ed it. I like it more now than ever. The tweed is bitchin!
    I'm going to buy an 808 re-issue and A/B them. Now I want an 808 and I'm here to tell ya there's no difference between the square button re-issue and an old 808 we A/B'ed em until we was blue in the face. So it's the re-issue for me. I have kids in college.

19. cvansickle

I have two Germanias (one with and one without dual switch), two UFOS, a Big D, a Germacide, a Medicine Bawl wah, and the Power Screamer.

I have a THC chorus on order, but the vendor isn't answering e-mails or phone calls, so I'm getting nervous.

I'm convinced that there are no finer pedals made than HBE. While at NAMM this past July, the HBE sales rep Charlie let me try a prototype of a Jordan Bosstone clone. It was excellent. If/when it becomes available, I'm buying that one too!

20. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

joel put telefunken's in my germania for me. i have to say you are right in your assesment of HBE! i really tried not to get my hopes up too high when
    i sent the power screamer to get modded. i have sew many pedals that i hardly flinch at all any more, but i amreally diggin it and am glad so many
    responded to this thread!:AOK