Anyone have the low gain Barber Direct Drive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kapo_Polenton, May 23, 2008.

1. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I was looking at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obWCspO5lHQ and the RC booster and really digging that clear chyme that can give you that nice cutting grind when needed. I already have the BB and it works fine with my plexi clone but sometimes it is a tad too compressed and gainy for me. I also find it nice and warm but sometimes I want more cut when I feel like Shenker. Anybody have a plexi and use either of these?

2. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Don't own it, but borrowing one right now from a friend for trying out.

It is pretty awesome. It's a great overdrive, set at about noon it's very close to the tone of my standard Direct Drive set at about 8:00 O'Clock. It get's pretty good amount of gain and (I like this better than the standard) it doesn't mush out at higher gain settings and will work as a clean boost of sorts.

It's got just a tad more drive than the LTD, but it's much more compressed than the LTD.

I did use it in line with my RC Booster and that combination kicks some major tail. Very nice with a good amp.

3. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

But overall to retain the sound of your amp you'd stick with the RC Booster?

4. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

whats the difference between the low gain direct drive (which Ive never heard of) and the ltd???

I have the direct drive and LTD and they are my favorite pedals...I cant imagine not having them and considered getting duplicates as spares in case Mr Barber decides to pack it in some day (please dont do this :))

5. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

The Barber DD LG is dynamic and crunchy. The LTD is warmer, smoother and has a little more compression. The Barber DD LG is THE ticket for low gain rhythm work--think Kossoff's tone on "All Right Now": less compression and more open than a LTD, without being harsh or sterile.

6. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

So, the DDLG is less compressed? I heard it had a touch more midrange, is that the case?

It sounds like a cooler option for me, because although the LTD sounded great, I prefer being at noon on a drive control than being all the way up. My pickups are very low output, which leads to "issues" with lower gain pedals...

7. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

The DDLG is awesome. I sold all of my other drive pedals when I got it. It sounds killer with my Dr. Z and Les Paul. I like it with my Tele too. It's less compressed and has much less gain than the regular Direct Drive. I tend to use low output pickups too.

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

I love my DDLG. Also have a (silver) LTD. DDLG's a little more 'British', LTD more 'Fender'.

9. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I just picked one up and it is very cool. I like the EQ the best of any Barber drives I have tried so far. It is very neutral and forgiving across all of my amps/guitars.

It is very smokey and cool sounding in the mids. It also has a ton of clean boost on tap. I really like the sound of it with the tone on noon and the vol and drive cranked. Most other overdrives sound bad when cranked like that - I assume because of crappy parts - but the DDLG sounds very "hi-fi" clean. I like it!

I am going to contact Barber about the mod options for this drive. I like everything about it, but there is always fun in adding more to "everything"...

10. charless

charless Member

This pedal has piqued my interest.

I never run my ODs with a lot of gain .. prefer to boost the volume a little and run them at 'breakup'.

I am currently using an OCD pedal for live and recording.

How does the DDLG compare to the OCD in the following?:

1) 'Amp like' dynamic response

2) EQ .. the OCD has 'HP' (for British) and 'LP' (for Fender)

Thank you in advance!

11. charless

charless Member

bUMPAGE:eek:

Anyone have both the DDLG and/or LTD SR and a OCD?

Since I own 2 OCDs ... was wondering if the Barber pedals are worth it. Please see the above post! Grazie!

12. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

The OCD has a lot more gain on tap. I would put it in the mid-gain category, where the DDLG is definitely low-gain for me. So, comparisons are tough in that respect…

The OCD is more in your face, where the DDLG is smokey and laid back. Both are great blues pedals. The OCD sounds more Marshall-like to me. The DDLG is less punchy than the OCD and a little more "flat" in EQ and response - but not flat in a bad way! It sounds a bit more "classic" and "smooth" to my ears, where the OCD is more punch and grind.

The DDLG also does not have the bass hump of the OCD. I have the OCD V3, which is known for being a touch bass heavy (but I still love it). The DDLG has a more natural low end (which is adjustable). I would put the DDLG's EQ as more mids than the LP, but less than the HP.

Both do well with rolling back the guitar volume for less. I guess I still prefer the OCD for that, but maybe because I have had it quite a while longer and am used to it. Or, maybe because the OCD can be pushed further, when needed. It will take me more time to really learn where the DDLG's sweet spots are and mess with its internal adjustments.

The DDLG can be cranked and not sound mushy or harsh. For edge of breakup, it’s more than enough. For slightly dirty chords, it’s perfect. It has a lot of clean boost that is very usable. I was surprised how much clean boost it had. I don't remember the LTDs I had having that much, but it's hard to say. Anyway, it was fun to hit my tweed with that much boost and let it breakup on its own.

It’s very hard to pick a favorite with these two. Both do very well in their appointed duties and both are very well made and great sounding pedals. For recording, I think you would find more than a few uses for the DDLG. Happy shopping…

13. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I had a OCD v4 and a whole slew of other pedals but the DD is the one that has stayed on my board the longest. So many sounds in that box :AOK

14. charless

charless Member

THANK YOU! I appreciate the info .. you know what the solution is right?
    :D

Have you had the chance to compare the MI Audio Blues Pro and the DDLG and OCD? Not to push it, but the Blues Pro along with the DDLG are the 2 pedals I am thinking about purchasing ... oh, and a Freakshow BR! :crazy

15. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

FWIW, I like the OCD and all of my Barber pedals better than any of the MI Audio stuff. MIA is decent, but they sound more "like pedals" than the Fulltone/Barber stuff.

16. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Yep, the solution is to buy ALL of the drives and try them with your setup. :) I have heard my OCD sound less wonderful with some amps, and the same with my other pedals and guitars. Everything has to be matched and tested to work well together. I think that's why some people love and hate different pedals - it's all in how everything works as a system.

I hope when I get my new amp I won't be back to the drawing board again... :jo

17. Dave

Dave Member

GTRJohnny's description of the DDLG is right on. I would like to add that it stacks really well, much better than the regular DD which can get too compressed. I like the DDLG with a treble booster or fuzz in front of it. A clean boost is great too.