1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone hear of Shijie Guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by arpegadream, Sep 19, 2019.

1. dshow

dshow Member

Yes for the base price of 750$ I would try one out but importing it to Europe you end up paying double of this price. That's definitely too much.

2. Jon Kaneshiro

Jon Kaneshiro Member

3. CanadaKen

CanadaKen Member

Greetings Samn314 and Members:

I checked out some video reviews of the Shijie guitars on Youtube and then checked around Reverb, eBay, Amazon, and of course Shijie's own distribution arm called Enxi. Nada. All sold out or none listed whatsoever. Have they gone out of business or all they selling as fast as they can make them? Samn314 maybe you would know as apparently you contacted the owner Mo on several occasions.

4. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Mo is still responding to inquiries quickly, however he gives no indication the status of anything. Mo appears to be the owner of the business which distributes the Shijie guitars. I don't know how else they are tied together, but it is possible he has no insight about delivery from the shop.

I requested a price and lead time for what they call a "half customization" of one of their existing models and he very politely said "sorry" and that he didn't know when that could happen. No place to go from there.

Possibly a symptom of a meteoric rise in demand. Do you think they would stop taking orders just because they are in the weeds? i don't know ... it's not a good sign when they just say sorry and no. It's nice that they aren't keeping me on a string though!

Speculation:

1. They've taken so many orders that they know they shouldn't take anymore and it will be a long while before they work through them.
    2. They've taken so many orders that they are rich beyond belief and decided to go on massive vacation we all dream about.
    3. They are working a deal to be an OEM maker for a well known company. They do advertise this as a service.
    4. They've received legal action. I'm no lawyer, but it's pretty clear to me what products they are confusing the market with. I only looked closer because I thought the the guitar in a thumbnail I saw was a different manufacturer (and not a traditional strat). If this is the case, then all the attention could have shot them in the foot with their existing line up of models.
    5. The shop is no longer building these guitars for some other reason.

and the most likely reason: COVID19.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  5. arpegadream

arpegadream Member

Covid HAS to be a big reason. A lot of good people have perished in China, capable, skilled people. It's incredibly sad that this is happening all over the world, we are losing so many great people. I wouldn't even worry about it right now.

6. arpegadream

arpegadream Member

3 nurses I know of in my town have died in the last few days. And even people that aren't dying, there are thousands very sick or unable to work staying in their homes. Right now we have to consider that ALL bets are OFF around the world. Nothing will ever be the same, and we are no where through this, no where near.

7. monkey_like_guitar

monkey_like_guitar Member

I live in Shanghai and just found out about these guitars.
    These guitars are available on Taobao from the official ShiJie Taobao store. FYI, Shi is pronounced like the "su" for the word "sure" and Jie is pronounced "jay" as the "Ja" in Jason. I say that because I have heard some people in videos not pronouncing it the correct way.

I contacted customer service on Taobao's chat app and I can confirm that the virus is causing issues at the company. The boss's name is Alex and he told the CS rep that it will be "a tough year for them" (The CS rep didn't go into more details and I didn't press the issue).
    BTW, they are based in Qingdao, Shandong Province. (Famous for Tsingtao beer)
    FYI, Qingdao is where the Epiphone factory is based.

Their "custom guitars" are not being made at this time and there is no time frame for when they will start doing custom guitars again.
    The company is still doing some work though. Apparently, a strat/tele version is coming at the end of the year. (I have seen actual photos of these st/tl guitars in the production line)
    How do I know about this? There was a custom ST/TL that I saw on Weibo that they made, and I contacted the store about making one for me; that is how I know they are going to bring this guitar into production.
    They are going to call this guitar the TLM(Telecaster Modern).
    I will keep everyone in the loop if I hear anything back from them.

8. dshow

dshow Member

Thanks for the info - very interesting!

monkey_like_guitar likes this.