anyone heard of a "Headley"

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fin, Sep 10, 2005.

1. fin

fin Guest

I was driving into work last week and passed what looked like a black LP custom sitting on a chair in a guy's fron yard with a "for sale" sign on it...of course the GAS genie was watching over me and I had to stop...long story short, I am the proud owner of a (I assume Japan) very cheap but VERY well made set-neck LP copy which looks to be a few years old and says "Headley" on the headstock..

Anyonbe ever heard of these?

EDIT-

The headstock says "Bradley" sorry I don't know where the hell I got "headley" from ...(I only have two brain cells left and they are not talking to each other...)

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Any chance that could actually read "Bradley"?Bradley was the house brand for Veneman music's import copy line.Originally sourced from Japan, Bradley instruments were sold from circa late 60s/early 70s to the demise of Veneman's and their mail order division,Music Emporium a few uears ago.Veneman's was a big time store that went from a chain in the DC area to a Rockville superstore with a Virginia location and mailorder alterego.The Bradley's produced in the 70s and early 80s can be quite nice and were sourced from both Fuji Gen Gakki and Matsumoku.

At any rate it sounds like you have a housebrand Asian copy.

3. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I would be cautious about going into your local Guitar Center and telling the clerk with the green hair and pierced tongue that you are looking for some Headley.

:)

4. joeh77

joeh77 Member

If you scored a Heatley for what you consider to be a "very cheap" price, you should be in Gear Page heaven! Heatley's are very sought after custom made guitars. I would think it's not a Heatley, but let us know.

Thanks,
    Joe:)

5. fin

fin Guest

:rolleyes:

I AM A TOTAL AIRHEAD....

IT IS A "BRADLEY"

Sorry, can I get a do-over... (feeling stupid)

6. joeh77

joeh77 Member

Good call mc5nrg!

Joe:)

7. fin

fin Guest

Yeah- thanks mc5nrg..you nailed that one.. interesting history there, I wonder which factory this one came from- there doesn't seem to be a serial #...

hmmm...

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

I should be pretty familiar with Bradley and Veneman's since I worked at the Rockville store in the early 80s and my first guitar came from the Veneman location in Bethesda.That was an acoustic Kapa,another Veneman house brand and a precursor of the Bradley imports.Also lived on Bradley Blvd in Bethesda which inspired the Veneman choice of name.If its a set neck guitar it shoyld be pretty decent.