• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone here a fan of rhythm and blues/soul music?

MichaelSherry59

So far everyone's answers are from the "rock era" of the 50s, 60s and 70s. Not a surprise. The golden era of soul, rhythm and blues etc.

Last edited:

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Speaking of great, more-recent-than-the-70s R&B, I listened to an hour of D'Angelo on BET Soul this morning.

Think Floyd

Gold Supporting Member
grew up listening to that stuff - best dance music ever.
Here's what I don't understand: A lot of those older R&B and Motown tunes (and dare I say Disco too!) are great dancing music. But, a lot of bands ignore those songs and want to play Skynyrd and AC/DC. Sorry, But IMO that's drinking music, not dancing music! I don't get it at all. A band will say that they want people on the dance floor, but then play something like Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance". Are you kidding me? That's closer to a funeral dirge than a dance tune!

I'd bet that a Motown/R&B/Disco band would pack more dance floors than a Classic Rock band.

jncour

Silver Supporting Member
Here's what I don't understand: A lot of those older R&B and Motown tunes (and dare I say Disco too!) are great dancing music. But, a lot of bands ignore those songs and want to play Skynyrd and AC/DC. Sorry, But IMO that's drinking music, not dancing music! I don't get it at all. A band will say that they want people on the dance floor, but then play something like Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance". Are you kidding me? That's closer to a funeral dirge than a dance tune!

I'd bet that a Motown/R&B/Disco band would pack more dance floors than a Classic Rock band.
Ha!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom