• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone here admit to being more of a guitar enthusiast, than a guitar player?

rich2k4

I've kind of felt that way lately. More fun to read about guitars, and guitar related gear than actually play.

Chuckracer

Silver Supporting Member
I don't live for the guitar like I used to, and don't play nearly as much...but guitars make me very, very happy and that's good enough for me. I still enjoy reading about guitars and gear, and I'm listening to other players more than I used to as well.

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
Guitar enthusiast? Is there an app for that? :JAM

ib2010

Gold Supporting Member
I'll admit to be an enthusiast, and a former gigger, not that I was one of "them"- the naturals. I'd bet the greatest players were fueled with enthusiasm.

golfnut

I don't gig as much as I used to but I try not to be an enthusiast.If I read about guitars I want to buy them then I end up spending more money than I should. So I try to focus on only the ones I have.

CC Overdrive

I'm a little of both. As a player, I have no doubt of my limitations, and have to work twice as hard as the second guitarist in the band. I definitely wouldn't call myself a musician, at least in the classic sense... I am much more knowledgeable about gear, and music in general than he is due to the enthusiast part.

Bickford

I only play a couple of times a week lately bc of work, family, etc. I haven't gigged in about 6 years. Like others have said, it's pretty much a therapy for me. I still love playing and making music as much as I ever have, but it's not a priority like it used to be.

Turi

Nah, I love it all equally.
I'd consider myself a player and enthusiast.
Love playing guitar. Love reading about them. Love hearing other people play guitar. Love seeing pics.
The whole lot, just love love love all 'round for the 6 string from me.

Not keen on guitars with more or less strings.
LOL.

I don't pretend to be anything special, but I do gig 2-4 times a week, every week, and when I don't gig I play at least one hour every day. Usually way more than that. I guess I do feel like both a guitar player and an enthusiast :)

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Due to a recessive music talent gene I don't think I could ever be a real guitar player. However, I managed to fake my way through 50 years of gigging as a weekend warrior, had a lot of fun with it, spent way too much money on this silly stuff, tore apart practically every guitar related piece of gear I've owned, built/modified guitars, amps, and pedals just for fun, did warranty repair work for Fender for about 10 years...and never been drunk or stoned! So, I think I fall somewhere between the cracks on the OP's question ;).

Last edited:

cristo

Yep, I spend more time thinking about guitars, amps, tubes, setup, strings, and
the physics of the same than actually playing. Just got my old SG refretted and
ordered a new nice amp, and going to get my Martin's neck reset soon, and I
hope that jump-starts me into playing more than thinking about guitars.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom