Anyone here defeated the GAS for good?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Hawking, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Hawking

Hawking Member

A couple years ago, after goin through a ton of guitars, amps, and equipment, I got myself down to a single Martin OM15M. I was satisfied for a while but missed electricity.

So I traded in the Martin in and grabbed what's in my sig used from GC. Ordered online without trying either of them and it turned out to be a perfect match. The past two years I've played more guitar than I had since I was 13-15 years old. I have no effects, no ******** and I have no desire to buy anything when I walk in to a guitar store now.

My posting history will show that I even stopped coming here to obsess over gear. Anyone else found what they're looking for and stop looking?

2. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

Naw way. I love gas! Variety is the spice of life. I have finally learned to only buy used though.

3. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Judging by your post, you haven't defeated gas. You're just in between farts.

Good luck either way.

I don't really get "GAS" but there are a few items on my short list of future purchases.

EDIT: I DID go through a gassy spell a few years back with low-gain ODs, until I realized they all covered 90% of the same ground. I love the extra 10% as much as anyone, but after you get 3-5 ODs in a similar vein, each pedal's 10% starts sounding like another's.

4. sleewell

sleewell Member

5. radicool

radicool Member

No, I would never say I've defeated GAS. I can keep it under control for long stretches, but at some point there's that next something that you gotta have. I'm way more rational now about buying stuff, however - but that took a lot of time, and money, to learn.

6. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Supporting Member

Well, relegated it to 1-2 brands, which is good enough!

7. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

A wife and a shared bank account is a great way to defeat it :)

8. Hawking

Hawking Member

I guess I'm just relieved because I used to be a GAS addict, trading in equipment all the time, always looking for the next high. I think part of it was finding a comfy neck and an amp that covered that low-gain OD you're talking about.

It's just nice to have been focused on learning/playing for so long, and not acquisition of equipment.

9. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Indeed, its a great place to be!

:beer

10. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

I've still got two maybe three guitars I need,a handful of pedals and a better amp..then I'm done....lol

11. Bon Scott

Bon Scott Supporting Member

I haven't defeated GAS completely, but I've cut way down on wanting new or different gear by unsubscribing from TGP threads about gear and from the email lists of retail sellers. Made a huge difference in gear lust. And when I come here, I more often go to a forum on playing rather than equipment. It also helps that I acquired a fair amount of stuff I like already.

12. gigs

gigs Member

I never had it bad, but I don't suffer at all from it now. Very happy with my setup and gear. Only do replacement acquisitions when things break / wear out.

I do enjoy window shopping however and when I'm out of town I love to stop into guitar stores and play some guitars and amps and talk with the owners.

13. dubdub

dubdub Member

Nope, i tried, went one month without buying anything then I was like..meh.. screw it. Im gonna buy some more stuff lol.

14. Hawking

Hawking Member

Out of curiosity, what are you buyin? I can't imagine you're gettin guitars monthly (although that would be a blast), is it pedals/effects?

15. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have to say yes. Four-to-five years ago I had, I think, 13 guitars and two amps. I now have four guitars, one of which will be parted out, and two amps.

There are a couple guitars and another amp I'd like to own but I look, think about it, and do nothing. I've been playing almost 48 years. For the first 26 I had one guitar and one amp. I could do that again but I'd rather not if I don't have to and deciding what to get rid of at this point would be hell.

16. Hawking

Hawking Member

Haha yeah, doesn't hurt that you have good taste, judging by your sig. BTW I'm looking to get a refret soon and live in CO Springs, do you have any experience with anyone in like a 5 hour radius? I'm willing to travel to get a nice fret job.

17. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

No.
    I always have a little tug going on inside me.
    At the moment, I am moving some gear and that is
    giving me a bit of satisfaction!

(wonder how that will last?)

S.
    j

18. Hawking

Hawking Member

Hey at least you've got good taste and funds to work with, I've always enjoyed your collection pics. :beer

19. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Thank you!

S.
    j

20. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Every time I get rid of gas, NAMM comes around, yet again. My last couple of years has been guitar slow, but amp and effects driven high, and unfortunately, or fortunately will remain that way until I have gotten what I want. Then, maybe, I will be happy, unless the next NAMM is right around the corner.