Anyone here ever blown a Celestion Blue?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bscepter, Nov 18, 2005.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

...under "normal" working conditions? (i.e. not using a single 12 with an SVT, etc.)

The reason I ask is, I've heard many, many conflicting reports as to their robustness. Aspen Pittman says he's heard of people putting two Blues in their Fender Twins, which would almost triple their combined power rating. Others, too, have said their meagre fifteen-watt power rating is very underrated.

Then again, still others have said that if you run anything more than fifteen watts into a Blue, you're asking for trouble.

What do you guys think? What is the real power handling of a Celestion Blue -- 15w? 20w? 25w???

Thanks...

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

No more than 18 watts in my experience. I haven't blown one myself, but I know others who have and they were using the Blue in a Fender Deluxe, which I believe has a power rating of 22 watts when dimed.

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

Interesting... I wonder if the reissues are less sturdy than the originals. Either that, or maybe there are just too many variables in manufacturing -- not to mention player setups.

4. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Blue in a Deluxe sounds great too.. I just had one ( a friends blue) in my 64, and it was awesome...I need to pick up an 8 ohm and get it in there asap...Just try to be a little bit conservative...:cool: And if it blows..well just consider all those juicy tones that came out before it gave up the ghost...Just the high cost of quality ear candy... :D

5. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Brad Paisley was blowing them using a 45w Dr Z RxES into 2 Blues.

6. cameron

cameron Member

Too often the gear we love sounds best right when it's about to die horribly.

I too have heard a Blue in a Deluxe. It's a good combo. Maybe my friend is lucky and got a Blue that's on the tougher side, 'cause he hasn't blown it yet.

7. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've got a pair of 8-ohm Blues that I'm putting in an Avatar cab. I was originally going to wire them in series at 16 ohms, because that's how Vox did it originally.

What would the difference be if I ran them at 4 ohms in parallel? Would they sound different? Would there be a volume difference?

8. Roe

Roe Member

the original will take over 20watts, I believe. Weber claims that his 30w blue dog is closer to the original celestion blue than his 15w blue dog. His 15w blue dog is supposed to be closer to the reissue though

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

Thanks for the info -- the only question is if Rob will install a 4-ohm jack in my Hayseed. I ordered a Mercury Magnetics Woden clone OT. Can you get multiple taps from a regular OT, or do you need to specify a 4-8-16 OT?

10. baald

baald Member

mind walking me through the math on this? not making sense to me....

11. baald

baald Member

thinking of the signal as water doesn't change the fact that 15 watts is 15 watts whether it's through a series circuit or a parallel circuit. so.....if this former tech is having a brain fart, i'd like to be enlightened, hence the request for a thorough explanation. thanks! :)

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Must be that "new math"........:NUTS

13. baald

baald Member

shhhhh -- i think you just gave away our ages ;)

14. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Uh guys, regardless of the math equation...zac knows his stuff here. He's been around more than a few blown speakers.:D

15. bscepter

bscepter Member

Thanks, Zac. That makes sense.

Do you think the safety aspects would outweigh the tonal aspects of a 4-ohm parallel versus 16-ohm series setup? I know many prefer 16-ohms in series for a Vox AC30. But, then again, them Blues is expensive...

16. bscepter

bscepter Member

Well, I do plan to play it near maxed, with a germanium treble booster in front of it. Maybe parallel is the way to go.

17. baald

baald Member

apparently he doesn't. his explanation makes no sense. 30 watts is 30 watts, series or parallel.

however, i'm curious to see if i keep watching this thread maybe zac will also explain cold fusion....

(btw - i normally wouldn't care about anyone getting their facts wrong. however, this is misinformation that could lead to undesirable consequences for people who take his advice and think that their speakers get 50% better power handling when wired in parallel rather than series)

baald

18. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I have owned four combos loaded up with Celestion Blue's...2 Vox AC30 RI's (still own both of them), a 2x12 Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr. NR, and a Clark Beaufort Tweed Deluxe clone...and I have never had a Celestion Blue crap out on me yet. ;)

I'm a Rock/Blues-Rock player so I'm usually pushing my amps fairly hard (at least 1/2 and usually more like 3/4 on the volume) for a nice crunch tone and then I typically hit the amp with a Klon set for a clean boost for solos. With the AC30's, I shoot for a Brian May meets Cream-era Clapton sort of tone if that's any indication.

Maybe I've been lucky (???)...but based upon my experience with Celestion Blue's, I have found them to be a pretty robust speaker and their 15 watt rating to be way on the conservative side.

I'm definitely no expert....just giving my experience. Like I said...maybe I've been lucky??

19. bscepter

bscepter Member

From Mitch Colby at Vox:

The Vox Blue up until a couple of months ago was identical to the
    Celestion Blue. Celestion is now making the Vox blue at their factory in
    China. The Celestion Blue is still made in the UK. Based on history and
    our testing, the ones coming out of China are more consistent and sound
    more like Vintage Blues than the ones made in the UK. I know it's hard
    to believe but it's true.

They are underrated. I have seen vintage Blues that were used in Fender
    Twin Reverbs for years without blowing although I wouldn't recommend it.
    I have personally bought vintage AC30s with original unreconed Blues.

They are rated at 15 watts but can probably handle more like 20 with a
    distorted signal and somewhat more with a clean signal.

They are expensive and the low failure rate is a good thing. If they
    were blowing all the time we would probably have to change to another
    speaker option.

20. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

The only way to really test your theory would be to set up a bunch of amps and speakers and play them til they die. Not real practical. I'd love to hear some kind of theory as to why you think this would be so. As far as I know, in series, the signal does hit one speaker first, but drops only part of it's voltage at that load, and the rest at the next. By your water theory as in if water in a pipe goes through a valve and loses some of it's head, (but not it's pressure), the way you're talking, the last speaker in the series should be quieter than the first as well. Just like the pressure, the current stays the same, and each speaker will produce an equally powerful signal. I'm no expert in all things electrical, but are there other phenomena at work here? Is there some characteristic of the electrical signal that will affect the first speaker more than the second? There are none that I know of, but I love learning stuff. I'm definitely not making fun. Just making an observation.