Anyone here ever buy from Norms Rare Guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mattoo31287, Mar 27, 2015.

1. mattoo31287

mattoo31287 Member

So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a vintage Jazzmaster and I found one I like on Norms website. Who all here has experience with them? Do they cut you any deals and are they cool and easy to work with? I'll be purchasing via phone if that helps. Any input would be much appreciated!

2. bluesky636

bluesky636 Member

Never bought a guitar from them, but I visited last year on my 60th birthday. I was able to try any guitar they had on the wall or floor. The staff was really cool. Norm was especially nice. I wanted to buy a copy of Norm's book (was all I could really afford). The only one they had was their display copy (like new). I offered to buy it under one condition - that the entire store staff signed it. They did and I did. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/url]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. PixMix

PixMix Member

4. chinstrap

chinstrap Member

Years ago, at a guitar show in I think Kansas, Norm sold me a 64' Jazz bass that someone had painted (badly) and removed the frets and filled a la Jaco for a great price. He was very cool to deal with. I refinished the bass and flipped it for a profit a few years later.

5. Bogner

Bogner Member

Yes I have...very good folks and very helpful. I wouldn't hesitate if I were you.

6. ashtuzhed

ashtuzhed Member

I refinished the bass and flipped it for a profit a few years later.[​IMG]

7. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

I live nearby. I've bought several guitars there over the years.

Yes, they will work with you on the price.

Very cool, no nonsense guys. Super knowledgeable.

Nicest stock of guitars in the southland.

People travel from all over the country to shop there. The place is an institution.

Ask for Mark Agnesi.

8. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

"Look... still has the old tag on, never even played it."
    [​IMG]

9. mattoo31287

mattoo31287 Member

Awesome, thanks everyone! I might call them today on my lunch break and see if I can't work a deal. I follow Mark Agnesi on Instagram, seems like a nice guy. They get some absolutely killer guitars in that store from what I can see. I'll let TGP know how it goes :aok

10. sws1

sws1 Member

They seem like cool guys. But they are in the buy low, sell high business. If you want to know what you are getting and don't mind paying the price, I'd go there. If you want the cheapest guitar you can find and don't mind spending months looking, you could go elsewhere.

Again, trustworthy, and in the vintage guitar business, that comes with a price.

11. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

No, not 'normally'. ;)

12. KRosser

KRosser Member

If I'm looking to buy a guitar they're always my first choice. Super chill vibe, helpful staff, great selection

13. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Prices are pretty high on the website.

14. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

He sold me a '56 strat that was supposed to be all original except finish. I didn't know all the details at that time. I had saved hard for a 50's strat and could only afford a refin. Turned out it was a phony repro body without a doubt. Found that out 3 years later. Very disappointing as I was directed to him as a guy with a lot of integrity. The more famous you are the better the treatment there Id say.

15. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Sounds pretty sleazy....

16. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I've bought a few guitars there over the years, going back to the old location. Player level guitars, up to a used R8, not the real vintage stuff. I've always gotten fair deals from him. If I go in now and am trying something out Norm will often walk by and say that he can give me a break on the marked price, without me even asking. I may have taken him up on the offer once or twice! They aren't cheap but I think they are reasonable, and it's not that easy to find all the stuff he has, that counts for something to me, anyway, as a buyer who wants to play it first.

I can only remember buying one new guitar there, a '62 Hot Rod Strat when they first came out. It was less than what GC was asking, not sure if MAP had kicked in yet at the time, but I'm sure I couldn't have gotten for any less at GC.

17. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

Been there on several occasions. Never bought from them, but I found them to be professional and courteous.

18. revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce Member

Bought a "player" Strat from him back in '94. Mostly a '73, but I knew it was an amalgamation of parts, as did he. Played like a dream, with an old slab board neck. Kept it for about 12 years and sold it when I moved. Still miss it and he remembered me when I visited about a year ago (I think because I was playing Earth Wing & Fire tunes and he loves that stuff. Nothing but good experience there.

19. sws1

sws1 Member

It's for this reason that I would never buy a vintage strat. Even the experts can't prove these things are real anymore.

Did you ever take it back to them?

20. edward

edward Supporting Member

That's a huge ouch ...and something I fear personally as I, like you did, am currently saving up for that one cool true-vintage guit. That the shop comes with good street cred and was wrong is very disturbing. Sorry that happened to you!

Edward