• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone here glue their bolt-on neck into their Strat/Tele, etc...?

HeyMrTeleMan

Colonel of Truth
What were the results? Noticeable? How did you do it?
No, I'm not even considering this, just wondering...

TIA!

HMTM

Polynitro

i know ritchie blackmore does this. I guess for better coupling? I dunno seems like overkill.

It seems unlikely that the bond would be more secure than four oversized screws all torqued down tightly, regardless of how long it was clamped. While I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea that a small amount of glue would have any profound effect, introducing a plasticized media between the two pieces wouldn't seem to increase the coupling either, any more than inserting four screws into a set neck design.
Then there's the fact that the two pieces aren't designed to be glued as the set neck tenon is. The set neck joint is placed differently and has a shape that provides it a better seat. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't seem like there's be much point to it.

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
I thought about doing this so I could shape the neck heel, but haven't tried it yet.

brandass

What were the results? Noticeable? How did you do it?
No, I'm not even considering this, just wondering...

TIA!

HMTM
I bought a MIK Squier in a rush, and it turned out that a previous owner had glued the neck. Ridiculous. Probably would've moved the neck to a nicer body if it hadn't been glued, it was pretty sweet. But the package wasn't inspiring, sent it down the river with full disclosure, at modest loss.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I think a reason that people might do this is that they think that glued necks are somehow always inherently more "sustain-ful". I don't find that to be true.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Every single time I have encountered a bolt-on neck that had been glued in, it had been done at a bad angle, rendering the guitar unable to be set-up properly.

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Nothing to gain and much to lose.
As pointed out, a glued-in neck is not just stuck on there; there is a tenon going deeper into the body. It's a much more complicated joint than the pocket of a bolt-on. A bit of glue is probably not going to positively impact tone or sustain; to the contrary it will more likely detract. And you lose the ability to remove the neck and in some cases the ability to adjust the truss rod. Nope.

onemoretime

I bought a MIK Squier in a rush, and it turned out that a previous owner had glued the neck. Ridiculous. Probably would've moved the neck to a nicer body if it hadn't been glued, it was pretty sweet. But the package wasn't inspiring, sent it down the river with full disclosure, at modest loss.
Glued and screwed.

paulbearer

I did this recently on a tele build.
Hide glue "because it was there" and I had been sniffing too many corks at the time.
Then I needed to adjust the neck a month or two later...
Had to heat the joint to separate the body/neck.

Made my adjustment and did *not* reglue.
Definitely unnecessary and limiting.

bigtone23

Rarebird Guitars here in Colorado was infamous for making set neck guitars out of older Fenders, back in the day.

The aforementioned Rare Bird convinced me that gluing in the (Performance) neck of an Ibanez Blazer would increase the sustain. Instead it completely killed the sustain and tone. - I got some of it back by drilling and inserting screws into what was left of the neck heel (which was radically cut away). Awhile later that guitar fell out of the case and the headstock split in two. Sure wished I could have replaced the neck instead of junking the whole guitar.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I remember a Dan Erlewine column in GP about doing some sort of hybrid set neck mod on a Fender that involved a piece of screen door and some goopy glue. Seriously.

Trending Topics