Anyone here had to do a dispute on paypal?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jbd3, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

Not sure if this is the right place in the forum for this. If it isn't, please let me know and I'll repost accordingly.

Two weeks ago I made a deal to buy an amp here on TGP, after numerous PMs and a phone conversation with the seller. I paid in full with paypal (regular, not "gift"), using my Discover card. Since then, I haven't heard a peep from the seller, despite numerous PMs, texts, phone calls, and emails. So yesterday I opened a dispute on paypal, saying the amp hadn't been shipped, and I sent him a message via paypal as well asking if he could ship. I sent him another message today as well. Nothing.

Has anyone done such a dispute through paypal?

How robust is the buyer protection for non-eBay transactions?

Would I be better off going through my credit card company?

I would love to think the seller has some good reason for this, but two weeks without a PM, call, email, or text makes me think I'm never going to see that amp.

Thanks,

John

2. Rich

Rich Member

John

Sorry to hear.

Don't have direct experience of this type with paypal claim, but I would most definitely contact Discover and tell them that you have filed a dispute with paypal and that you want Discover to reverse / charge-back / withold payment. And that you yourself will not pay any disputed charges, period.

Sad to say, despite what some like to think about forums and their members, there are still people around who will screw you if they can.

Good luck getting things resolved.

3. whitehall

whitehall Member

First, esculate the dispute to a claim. That will freeze assets in his PP account if there are any. Then report it to your CC company. You will most likely get your money back between the two.

4. imastratoholic

imastratoholic Supporting Member

Man that is a bummer. It seems like the the cc company would take action before paypal. I'm sure it will be resolved for you. Keep us updated.

5. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

Yeah, I had one against me - some guy with an over itchy trigger finger after I sent a £20 pedal through the post and it didn't arrive. I sent proof that I'd posted and expected him to contact me again to discuss it nicely, but he just raised it without doing so. He said he couldn't read my proof of posting - but it was very clear. After I'd calmed down I refunded his money within a few hours, because my 100% record is valuable to me. So it definately worked for this guy. I think I sent it to the wrong address actually, so I think he was right in the end.

You have nothing to lose by raising one.

6. monty

monty Member

I had to once, I actually found PP very helpful. Same story, guy was ignoring me totally until PP contacted him, so ther is hope for you.

7. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Your card company will tell you that the seller has 30 days and so they won't take your claim until then. Usually once eith PP or your card co or both contact the guy, he'll move " sorry man, I was outta town'. The best excuse I ever got was that the 4, 12" speakers I bought were boxed up and ready to ship ' but somebody put it under the desk(?) in the garage '. I cancelled the deal, he waited a few weeks then put them back up on Ebay asking( and getting ) more for them.

8. fusion58

fusion58 Member

Just once when a crooked seller tried to beat me for ~$300.

PayPal got my money back for me. :aok

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

PM Brian or Scott and forward them the PMs. They can suspend posting privs until it gets sorted.

And to the guy ripping off a follow member - GTFO and STFO!!

10. wolfman63

wolfman63 Member

Just once when someone named Kathy Brandenburg tried to collect $450 from my account that I hadn't authorized. Had to close my checking account and open a new one to keep Paypal from giving her the money. Lucky I caught the transaction before it was completed. No longer deal with Paypal. Had to call paypal long distance to try to get the transaction stopped, and was told that they were going to give her (him) the money after which I could dispute it. Thus tying up my money till it was settled. My bank would have honored the withdrawl, and told me the only way to stop the transaction was to close my account. So that's what I did. Paypal said that someone had hacked my password. I no longer deal with Paypal.