Anyone here MUST run multiple amps together to achieve your tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lightningsmith, Apr 10, 2008.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Does anyone here swear by playing through 2 or more amps simultaneously all the time?

Care to share why and what amps do you use?

2. doctorx

doctorx Member

I run a stereo rig into a single stereo cab. Either two Bassman heads or two Traynor YBA1-A heads, depending on whatever mood I'm in. I have a stereo 2x12 and a stereo 4x12. I usually use a boss CE-3 stereo chorus.
    I also run a Leslie 16/Vibratone driven by a BF Bassman head, and A/B/Y it with the stereo rig.

3. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

What's your setting on each amp when you're running them together and why 2 amps?

4. Weathered

Weathered Member

I have run multi amp setups a few times, and if possible (stage size) I still will.

I run an AC30 and HK Triamp at the same time. The AC30 is a bit brighter, and the HK fills in the midrange. I don't have to play as loud, and as a result, our mix on stage is much better. The Triamp may be replaced with a Plexi clone and 2x12, as the 4x12 with the Triamp is a heavy (and oversized) rig.

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

I set the stereo rig amps the same, the point being getting the stereo chorus sound. If you've never heard two identical amps cranked with a stereo chorus you don't know what you're missing.

There are other reasons for using dual amps like weathered does, one amp gives you part of your tone and the other gives the rest.

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I always run at least a 2 amp rig in a wet/dry configuration. If I have a lot of room, and the time and inclination, I'll run a wet/dry/wet setup.

Usually though, I run my Reinhardt 18 and my Satellite Neutron 18 watter together. I use the Satellite and the Reinhardt both for dry, using the TMB channel on the Reinhardt and then I'll run the effected signal into the normal channel on the Reinhardt. So it's actually a 3 channel rig and I can switch out the effects and still have both amps active, but dry. I handle the effect/dry switching with a Lehle Dual and a Loopmaster looper and I split the dry signal with an Axess BS-2. It's a very versatile setup and I never have to worry about having an amp crap out on me at a show. If I go 3 amp, wet/dry/wet, I'll add in my old '81 Mark IIB by running a stereo out from a TC Chorus. Using the Loopmaster, I can bypass all the effects and have all 3 channels running dry if I choose, (4 channels if I have the Boogie hooked up, but bypassing the Looper will take the Boogie out).

I always have both amps active and never A/B them. I just love the way the Reinhardt and Satellite sound together. The Reinhardt has this big, tight ballsy tone, while the Satellite has more sag and compression...almost Tweed-like....so they compliment each other in the very best way.

I like the simplicity of a grab-n-go one amp rig, but I can never achieve the complexity of MY tone with one amp.

7. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I send my tone from my Mesa LSC / Digi GSP1101 signal out to 2 Tech21 Power Engine 60s. They are really transparent, lightweight and affordable little powered speakers.

I spread them wide on stage and my band's live sound is much smoother and evenly dispersed. I am the only guitar player, and my whole band agrees that adding the PE-60s has greatly improved our overall sound...
    even when I am mic'd through the PA.

On small, low-volume gigs, I just take my 2-space rack bag with the GSP1101 and the 2 Power Engines. Sounds great and gives me a great deal of volume control that I can't get with the tube amp.

:JAM

8. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I love combining amps. My favorite to date was probably an AC30/ Marshall 2061x combo. They complimented each other very well.

My next combo platter is going to be my current Swart (w 2x12 extension cab) and Orange Tiny Terror. That should create a good deal of sonic mayhem.

9. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

yeah, a sunn studio pa head into a 4x12 loaded with 65 watt scumback h75's and a guild 2x15. my other head is a guild thunderstar and 1x15 i use for my boss ps3. tho the guild's going away and in coming a or200 into the 4x12 and the sunn will go into the 2x15 and prob another 4x12.

10. richey88

richey88 Member

Dry as a bone dry modded epi VJ half stack on one side, and either Fender SCXD, Vox ADVT50, or JCM900 all thru a 4x12 wet on the other. both always on, minimal pedals. Wet amp head depends on what kind of volume I need/can get away with. Volume knob or MXR Micro-Amp for leead boost. This is for 80% of my gigs, 20% I will use the SCXD or EVJ thru 4x12 as we do play a couple of supper clubs and dual amps is just too much space-wise and volume-wise. They're all cool gigs, but I LOVE having the two amps, just fills things up.

www.myspace.com/projectxtheband
    www.myspace.com/vonillagorillatheband

11. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Loopmaster has a great (and inexpensive) little ABY box that allows you to combine 2 amps at the same time. I bought one and use it to combine my amps and run each amp out to its own 2x12 cab... talk about a wall of beautiful sound!

Here's the link to the ABY box if anyone's interested:
    http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=40

12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I'm working on a nice lil stereo rig right now. It's going to have a "clean" channel, and a "zonked out" channel. They are both fed first into a Radial A/B/Y, and the A Channel is a VanAmps Sole-Mate to a CMATMods DS-1 to a Transitional Princeton. All clean and true bypass and all that good stuff. The B channel gets instantly murked and fuzzed with a Fuzz Factory to a Frankenwhipple Wah to a Deluxe Memory Man out to a Tweed Princeton. Two completely different worlds that can be combined in a Y config if needed.

I figure to patch one more cable from the DMM to the Transitional Princeton too, so I can get some pingponging delays/chorus for fun as well, but haven't gotten to that point yet. For the most part this is all just fun and games since I usually just plug direct to an amp and that's it, but it's good to maximize the possibilities of what you have, right?

13. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I pulled my wet/dry rig apart, and haven't gotten around to re-assembling it, but I will. Nothing I would ever gig with, but for fun in the studio, it couldn't be beat. LeonC also has had some killer wet/dry rigs that he gigged with on and off over the years.
    My rig was multi-amp AND wet/dry. Lots of different amps since the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Its cool to combine different types of amps, speakers and response/breakup. The best was stereo chorus and wide ping-pong delays. I used to love inviting other guitar players over just to see their jaws drop when I hit the first chord. Not loud- just....immense, fat and juicy.
    If you want to get your feet wet, I recommend you look into the Voodoo Labs amp switcher. It can run four amps, or two stereo pairs. Cool pedal.

14. Strat

Strat Member

Two 1964 Princetons; one PR run dry and the non-reverb run wet. Sometimes I switch out the non-reverb for an AC-15 or a Savage Rohr -15. I don't use high gain sounds though and rarely much more than crunch.

15. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I run stereo in some situations. I've used 2 Boogies, a Boogie & a Fender, a Marshall combo and a power amp for an extension speaker so the main amp pre is present in both. These are all tapped off a stereo chorus before the delay so I also get a wet dry on the delay signal. I've also run 3 amps using a Roland GK-2 strat with a GR30 synth stuff thru a stereo Roland KC350 keyboard amp and then the stereo guitar setup for the separate feed for guitar and sounds massive.

16. mild

mild Member

When I'm playing with another guitarist, I'm less inclined to use dual amps, especially if I'm just backing him up. When I play on my own, however... or if I am the one being backed up... I enjoy the dual amp spread. I would still maintain that I can get "my tone" regardless of what I'm doing amp-wise - so long as its tube, and is half decent. It comes down to the way in which I set all of my tools (pedals, guitars, volume, mic placement) etc.

With that said... I am a huge fan of running dual mono setups, with amps that compliment each other. My favourite sound is a Fender + Vox amp sound. I know of another guy that likes that same sound toooo... Dave Evans... Edge, or something, can't quite remember...

17. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I used to run a Soldano SLO/Marshall PA head together and holy moly! Since then I've combined different heads and combos, usually tailoring the settings to suit the location. It's definitely the way to go, even with just two combo's for smaller rooms.

18. k_kush

k_kush Member

I recently purchased a SoundSculpture Switchblade 8B and have experimented running combinations of my Egnater M4, Bogner 101b and Axe-Fx Ultra concurrently. Two 4x12s and 2 QSC monitors all at once! - Frickin' Monstrous tone!!! I'll usually dial in very different tones in each amp to paint the sound I'm after.

19. redfro

redfro Member

I just started running my Soldano and Bassman at the same time.

Best tone I've ever had....

20. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I've been having some great tones with as AC30HW and FTR37 blended.

The AC30 covers the mids and chime and the FTR adds girth and warmth.

Together, they sound huge!