anyone here own a Framus guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Igneous, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Igneous

Igneous Member

Keep seeing these in ads and they look unreal. Especially with the plek technology. Pricy but I think I would want one over a prs. Thoughts?

2. Garey

Garey Member

I had the chance to play nearly every model, and option, at the last NAMM show. They are truly phenominal...old-world craftsmanship combined with modern technology. Great tone, comfortable to play, lots of options, and incredible attention to detail. They are attracting a lot of great players, for good reason!

3. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

I have a seventies vintage Sorella, and love it. As has been said, the craftsmanship is excellent. Laminate neck, stainless hardware, bridge with adjustable saddles.

[​IMG]

4. Garey

Garey Member

That is beautiful!

5. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

Thanks. It's an archtop, but that's hard to see in the pic. I bought it in a pawnshop for $75 in the mid-eighties. They are wonderful guitars and sound very different.

6. Garey

Garey Member

Hey, BTW....the frets are done with a CNC machine utilizing Invisible Fret Technology (IFT) "this allows for guitar frets to be laid without compromising its structural integrity. As a result, IFTT creates better neck stabilization and avoids the dreaded "fret poke" which sometimes occurs when fret slots are cut through a fret board and frets are installed in the traditional manner.
    IFTT also allows for the fretboard to be sanded to the correct radius and the actual fret to be crowned to a perfect profile. Ultimately, IFTT allows for the best neck and fret possible with a straight and stable, a perfectly fit, smooth fret. An overall better feel for better playing."

There really is nothing like it...

7. 3th3r

3th3r Member

I had a Framus Diablo Custom for a while, and the build quality was excellent, in typical German fashion. The Ovangkol neck felt like else I have tried, but unfortunately the guitar was too heavy for me so I sold it.

I don't know about the Korean Framuses, but the German ones are top quality instruments that definitely compete other top level manufacturers.

8. sausagemahoney

sausagemahoney Member

I've owned a couple old Framus archtops, and I think they should be worth a lot more than they are.

9. Garey

Garey Member

Indeed! There are some amazing older pieces!

10. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Just for clarification - the new Framuses and the vintage ones are worlds apart in terms of tone, feel and construction. They're both very nice, but it's really an apples and oranges comparison.

11. Broken Cord

Broken Cord Member

I have a Hollywood Custom w/p90's. This is a very sweet looking but ballsy playing guitar. The neck is a little thinner than I like but it is still comfy. I haven't put this guitar on a scale, but for a hollow body it has some true heft I would have to guess it is 9 -9.5 lbs. I have a 10lbs guitar and it's not quite that heavy but it's not far off of that mark. [​IMG]

12. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

Bill Lawrence worked closely with Framus many years ago, and even today he continues to praise the guitars.

this yeas at NAMM they re-released the Bill Lawrence model, one he designed from the ground up. He was unaware they were doing so. He said as he walked in, he saw this large cutout photo of himself, and was pleasantly stunned when he saw what it was promoting...

Great guitars.

ron Kirn

13. Garey

Garey Member

Well, there wasn't a cut out...but yes, Bill was there and was presented with a re-release of his signature model, by Hans Peter Wilfer. Framus was HP's' Father's company and Bill Lawrence (Billy Lorenti) was an endorser (as were John Lennon, Elvis, Bill Wyman) back in the mid to late 40's.

Here is a picture I took of Bill, Hans Peter, and Bill's wife Becky....just after receiving the guitar. [​IMG]

Later in the show I had a chance to watch Bill and Regi Wooten trade back and forth for 2 hours, while a crowd grew and some young boys joined in. Magical...

[​IMG]

And the youth...[​IMG]

Great guitars, indeed!