Anyone here own a Morgan acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by dead mike, Aug 26, 2008.

1. dead mike

dead mike Member

How do you like it? I was playing a boatload of guitars today and really liked these alot. Cant seem to find to much info on them though. The website isnt the best.
    http://morganguitars.com/

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Talk to these two guys. Both honest as the day is long.....and both carry Morgan.

Dave at Guitar Adoptions......and Jason at Notable Guitars. Stand up guys!!

Good luck....and I've heard nothing but GOOD things about Morgan guitars.

:BEER

3. itsjustgas

itsjustgas Member

Mike-
    Yes, I owned one a while back. I custom ordered a dread, and it was done quickly and turned out great. They are extremely nice guitars for the money and have an 'alive' kind of feel to them. David apprentice under Larrivee, and in my opinion, builds a nicer guitar. I only got rid of it to help fund an electric purchase down the road. Still wish I had it. Go for it.
    Jeff

4. dead mike

dead mike Member

thanks for the replies guys.

5. texasdave

texasdave Member

I had one early on. It was a beautiful guitar, but I made the mistake of ordering a koa top and I just never got the response out of it that I wanted... Workmanship was excellent. Your eyes and hands weren't playing tricks on you... Everything I've ever read about him suggests that he takes great pride in his work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dead mike

dead mike Member

wow thats unbelievable. whaT a beauty.

Last yr i had the money to buy my first nice acoustic, i ended up with a larrivee D03, it sounds great but i cant chord well on it so im trading it up. today i went to 4 shops and played Martins, Gibson, Taylors, Breedloves, Larrivees, Taks, Guilds but man this Morgan is calling to me, it sounded the best. I think im going for it.

On a side note, i thought i wanted a fancey looking guitar and tried out some maple and koa guitars but they didnt have the depth and shimmer of a mohagany or rosewood.

Another thing, for 1000 bucks the Guild DV-6 is one hell of a guitar. Thanks for the input

7. texasdave

texasdave Member

Hey Mike!Got any bragging photos of the new Morgan?? (Saw you bought it but didn't want to hijack that thread...)

Also, did you keep the D-03? I would think a good setup should make that a great backup guitar for ya...

Texasdave

8. snarkle

snarkle Member

I've had the pleasure of hanging out with David Iannone, who builds the Morgan guitars, and touring his shop and its enviable stash of tonewoods. He was shop foreman for Larrivee for years and so there's an obvious family resemblance, but I think the Morgans are more consistent and slightly more elegant than their mass-produced cousins.

David has a particular affinity for mahogany, or else a particularly good source for it...I've never played a mahogany Morgan that was less than a very, very good guitar. A couple of them have been spectacular. That said, I have the same problem with his standard neck carve that I have with Larrivees...the necks are a little sharper on the "shoulders" and a little flatter in the radius than I like.

But everything else I like well enough that I've often thought of asking if he'd do a custom order for me with a wider and more vintage-feeling neck...

For what it's worth, I currently have a deluxe, near-mint Morgan for sale...Mahogany back and sides, spruce top, and an elaborate elephant inlay in the headstock. It's on consignment at Not Just Another Music Shop in Vancouver right now, but email me for more info or if you want to talk trades...floor price is $2500.

9. dead mike

dead mike Member

It does have a sharp shoulder but i can chord cleanly on it. I used my larrivee as a partial trade partly because i could not chord cleanly. Admittedly i never heard of Morgan and stumbled upon this one in the shop. I played so many high end guitars and this one along with 2 other Morgans sounded the best, very rich with great string seperation. Im a believer. Too bad you didnt post here earlier i would have considered your offer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. snarkle

snarkle Member