Anyone here own a Vox AC-30 Handwired?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by agentcooper2001, Oct 17, 2005.

1. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

I'm looking at a 2x12 combo AC-30 handwired with 2 celestion blues. What are your thoughts on it? Lots o' chime? How's the master volume on it? Is the tremolo different than the british Korg re-issues? It seemed to have a click pot rather than a full sweep, like a normal trem. Did they change that on the handwired?

2. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

there's one on ebay just to let you know. it's got a reasonable "buy it now" at $2350 i think and it looks flawless.

if i had the money i'd snatch in a heart beat. i wouldn't wait long though because i'm sure once people get home from work tonight someone will snatch it up at that price. especially since the a hw head has been going for around $2000 on ebay.

3. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

yeah, that's what I'm looking at. Please don't buy it guys!

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Great amp. Highly recommended. It's been my #1 gigging amp for almost three years and I have a few other nice amps, including a '62 JMI, to choose from.

The master volume makes the amp very versatile. It can chime just like the JMI with the master all the way up, or it can get some great bluesbreaker tones with the master down and the vol up. The tone EQ is very interactive and the cut control is perfect for adjusting the high end to taste. Very touch sensitive transition between clean and breakup.

The tremelo is continuously variable and has a nice feel to it, like a brownface Fender. The reverb has a very nice useable range, much more so than a BF Fender and has a tone control to tweak the reverb's "presence".

The downsides: like any 2x12 combo-weight, but the extra handles actually make things very manageable since you only have 35 lb's in each hand. If I have to load in any distance, a small foldup aluminum hand cart works just fine. The only other downside is the tolex is nowhere near as durable as Fender. It will tear pretty easily, like the Korg's. I use a padded Tuki cover and it helps with that.

Overall, it's been entirely trouble free. I change the EL84's about once a year and I have a good set of NOS preamp tubes in there. The cooling is improved dramatically over the originals and the Korgs, and you can replace the tubes without removing the chassis, almost as easily as a Fender.

5. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

If I had the money it would've been mine allready and I would be thanking you for pointing it out to me . . . .

moneymoneymoneymoney monay!!

6. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

7. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

OOOppss...wouldn't have posted that if I had seen you bought it...

(edited)

8. tlester

tlester Member

Easy come, easy go, eh? :D

9. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

bastard!:D

it's okay, i didn't have the money anyway. would you be able to give us all an update on how it sounds once you get a chance to play it. i've been hearing a lot about the hayseed 30 but i would like an actual vox ac30hw if i can get my hands on one.

10. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

have you had any trouble with your vox ac30cc? i was looking at those also but i've been cautious because of some of the problems it has had. but the price is great!

how is the reverb and tremelo on the CC amp?

11. pfflam

seems to be gone? and not in completed either?

12. pfflam

AhHAh!!

I hope you love it!! and send up some pics when it comes . . . so I can spill my see . . I mean . .. um . . take a look-seed. ;)

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Yer killin' me here, Mark, LOL... (Mark & I have often discussed how much I'd love an AC30HW if only I could lift one!)... maybe the head's the answer... but then I'd need the right cab.... :cool: :D :D

14. fullerplast

:D I grew up with a BF Twin Reverb as my first amp Jon, so I developed those amp lifting muscles early in life.....:D

15. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Yes, I did have problems with it and ended up returning it, which was a bummer, and certainly something the HW has all over it. The CC's sound fantastic but have issues apparently. I'm waiting to see if they get the bugs sorted out, and I'll RUN to get another.

I never use verb or trem, sorry, can't help you there. I played with the verb and trem for a minute or two I guess, but not enough to give an informed opinion.

Anyway, I hope the HW rocks for the buyer! It's a great amp.

16. Fezziwig

Fezziwig Member

Fuller,

What kind of EL84 tubes have you had luck with, and what do you bias them at? I think mine is due soon for a retubing.

17. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

can anyone tell me the tube chart of the ac30-hw or at least how many of each? I can't find anything on google about it. Actually, I can't find a whole lot of info on this amp at all.

18. fullerplast

I like EI power tubes, tested and screened for low current. If money is no object, try some Mullards. I get my Ei's from Lord Valve, but there are other guys on the board here that can probably do the same screening. JJ's are pretty indestructable but I don't think they sound as good in this particular amp.

The amp is cathode biased, you don't need to adjust anything. Just do a basic sanity check to make sure they aren't red-plating when you put a new set in.

19. fullerplast

I replied on your other thread.....

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Mullard all the way if you can find them, a significant tone upgrade...