Anyone here own/play a Fender Super Champ XD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mbratch, Jun 2, 2008.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

I'm very curious about these amps. Read a few reviews. Would like to hear from some giggers/players about them. Particularly whether the basic effects (delay, reverb) are decent, and whether it has a good foundational Fender clean tone (perhaps with a speaker change).

2. richey88

richey88 Member

There are a few threads regarding the SCXD on this forum. I use mine to push a 4x12 cab for gigs. Best bang-for-the-buck out there! I ususally just use the 1st channel (great Fender clean), a tad of verb/delay from the DSP and my pedals. Stock speaker blows but people are getting good results by adding a Jensen, Ragin' Cajun' etc. I replaced my spkr with a no-name 10" from a Guitar Research combo. BIG difference when you replace the stock speaker, but for gigs, I use a 4x12 or 1x12 extension cab. LOVE THIS AMP!

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

Thanks. I wanted to search for the XD in the thread subjects, but the stupid search function in the forum doesn't allow two-character words (such as "xd"). I'll try SCXD. ;)

I looked at the pic on Fender's site, and at the back showing the speaker. Looks like that speaker has a refridgerator magnet on the back. Dag, that thing is tiny. What were they thinking?

4. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

They were thinking "lets save some money".

5. richey88

richey88 Member

Look for Richey88 in the search thread, you will find the posts. For what they are, I love mine......I'm nowhere near being able to afford 2000+ on a sweet handwired 18 watter (not saying I don't want one). The stock speaker is mediocre, but plug that baby into another cab or drop in a weber or eminence and let 'er rip!! The Sam Ash I got mine let me try a couple of different cabs before I pulled the trigger.

Stock speaker sounds here: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6536198

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Yeah there were a bunch of threads on these amps the last couple of weeks. Basically I replaced a Supersonic, a Blues Jr. and a Soldano Decatone with this one little amp. But to be fair the Supersonic and Soldano were just simply too loud for my house-only playing and I finally came to the conclusion that I'm just not good enough to waste such a fine amp as the Soldano :)

But point being it's a great little amp that toasts the Blues Jr (after putting a Rajin Cajun in it) and sounds better than the Super Sonic at house playing levels. Plug it into a good cabinet and you'll be amazed!

7. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

8. biggreen

biggreen Member

Best bang for the buck amp available IMO. $300, 15 watts all tube, DSP, 16 amp voicings or 1 all analog channel, 2 channels/effects footswitchble, classic fender look and sound. I also replaced my speaker out for the ragin cajun, warning, it not only sounds way better it adds about 5 more pounds, I can't believe how friggin heavy it is for how small it is. Loud enough to play with drummers. You can't go wrong with this amp really.

9. theraygun

theraygun Member

I just picked one up this week as well. Put in an Eminence Legend 1058 and it sounds great. I'm pretty sure from what I've read elsewhere that channel 1 is digital, and is same as the #4 preset. Doesn't matter to me, it sounds great and it's cheap. I bought one to leave at the church so I don't have to take my Princeton every week. I use channel 1 for cleans and then use the Plexi preset (#8) for my dirty stuff. Great buy for a second amp, it's very flexible, it just wouldn't be my only amp since I likes the tubes.

10. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I really love mine now that I've switched out the crap speaker for a 30 watt USA Fender Ceramic and the 12AX7 for a Tungsol. It's become one of my favorite studio and grab and go amps. Takes pedal very well too. With a couple of small changes it's a killer amp.......:banana

11. mbratch

mbratch Member

That's interesting raygun, that's exactly why I'm looking at this amp: to leave at the church rather than have to run between two different services in the morning in two different locations at the church to service two worship sessions. :-O Frankly, I don't mind amp itself (a Princeton Reverb) as it's easy to carry. It's my pedal board that's cumbersome because of all the hooking up, unhooking, and packing/unpacking it requires. I'm thinking the SCXD might give me a nice enough small tube amp sound, plus have the built-in effects to boot. :)

I do prefer a tube pre-amp as well. The sound samples on the site sound somewhat metalic to me. Perhaps the speaker change-out helps that.

12. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I absolutely love my XD. It is my favorite sounding amp..period. It took a lot of tweaking to get there, but I'm there. Unfortunately it is really not loud enough for most gigs, you can get by in certain situations though. Love it, but some folks have had trouble with them. I have not changed my speaker, but have heard that the Rajin Cajun is perfect for this amp and makes it louder because it is much more efficient. I will eventually change it because this amp is a keeper.

13. theraygun

theraygun Member

Yeah, that was definitely the other part of it, I didn't want to take my board every week as well. I guess I'm just lazy and don't want to make more than one trip to the car and all that. I've got the footswitch on order, and it should make the SCXD all I need. Switch channels and effects on/off.

The metal channels are pretty crap, but I assume you won't be using those at church. The only gripe I really have is the final decay on some of the distortion channels is a little off, but really not noticeable enough at a gig.