Anyone here play in a Stones cover band?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cg, Feb 29, 2012.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

The catalog is so deep and rich. I think it would be a blast to play in a band that does an alt country/roots rock take on their stuff. Would not and try and copy stuff directly, but rather pay homage to it. Sort of something like this...

2. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

I used to be back in the 90's. It was a lot of fun. I played the part of Keith. I had 2 guitars in standard,& one in G & one in E. We threw in a few Beatles, Petty & and a few others for a little change. The crowds dug it. Had" can't you hear me knocking " and " Monkey Man " down & it seemed they loved those the most and so fun to play.

3. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Never a cover band, but I have played a lot of their stuff over the years, and have always figured it out note for note. I love figuring out the Stones sometimes strange chord structures.

4. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

Best I've down is walk in places with those internet juke boxs and program in about an hour of good Stones music for the night

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

i wish. keith richards is a hero of mine.

6. SteveO

SteveO Member

Never did a full-on Stones tribute, but we covered enough Stones material to justify taking the time to study Keith's style a bit more closely. The guy knows how to write riffs that are FUN to play!

7. StanG

StanG Member

Weren't the stones playing alt country/roots rock a few decades before it was called that?

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Paging Golden Boy.......

9. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

I sure made good use of my capos, that's for sure.

10. cg

Indeed!!

11. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Yep. Check out Dead Flowers. Full on brits-doing-country.

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Hey!

Yeah, I do a Stones cover band type thing as my main music gig these days. It is more of a "Stones Cover Band" rather than a "tribute" band- we don't do costumes or anything.

I'm the Bill Wyman guy.

I have "liked" the Stones- but I'm much more of a "Beatles" guy. When I got offered the gig, the guy who hired me said he wanted me to play bass like I play bass, so I had artistic license. After trying to squeeze in melodic lines, rather than riding the root or the boring Bill Wyman stuff- I realized these songs are really well crafted, and it's not that Bill Wyman was a lazy player or that he just liked being all boring... those bass lines serve a purpose in the way they're arranged and played. Trying to do it in a melodic sort of way sucks the life out of songs or wrecks the groove in the way they're rolling. I guess the example is riding the root of "Jumpin' Jack Flash." If you play the riff along with the guitars- it castrates the song- and you get that laid back feel of the Peter Frampton version.

I really found a new appreciation for the Stones and for Bill Wyman. I really enjoy playing these songs- and I'm always surprised to see who's in the audience and who's singing along with "deep cut" songs.

13. cg

Sounds like a great time!