Anyone here play in an Organ Trio (or similar)?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jimfog, Dec 16, 2009.

1. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Hey,

Wondering how many of you play in groups with the organ kickin' out the basslines, etc?

There's that wealth of classic material in that style, obviously........but do you do anything outside the usual? Do you find any limitations in not having a bass player, for certain things?

Just curious of your experience.

Thanks!

- Jim

2. soulohio

soulohio Member

k.ris.t... i was just playin in a keyboard/guitr gig with MIDI files taking up the slack.. hardest gig i ever did but that ain't sayn mucho...

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

It's been many many years but I played in one with a guy who had the most amazing left foot I ever saw. Many of the B-3 guys play bass lines with their left hand but this guy was all over the place with his feet. He had some sort of mod done to his B-3 that gave the pedals some sustain, so walking bass lines were very smooth at some pretty insane tempos.

4. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Yeah....very few actually use the pedals these days, but there are a few here in Philly. There used to be a ton of corner "Lounges" around here, that all had a B3 and a swinging combo every weekend. Some monster players.

These days, I know Joey D is still stompin' the pedals.

5. jjboogie

jjboogie Supporting Member

I did for a few years. It was so fun! I was playing drums back then. The bass sound was so fat, warm & round! It felt so good! There is nothing like it. We had a guitarist and a tenor sax player at the time. Lots of Jazz, blues & soul music!

6. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

Yes. Did a show last year with Tony Monaco. You may have heard him with Pat Martino...

7. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I do them fairly often with Alan Eicher. He's real good at the l.h. bass. Most times we do groove-oriented stuff, Latin, Funk, etc. It's a different game than having a bass player, but I don't mind.

A big benefit is that I can get a quartet sound for trio money. Plus one less musician to communicate with for off-cuff arrangements on the bandstand.

8. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Arthur.....I thought your name was familiar when you started posting here, but couldn't place it.

Did you do a book of Setzer transcription? One of my students brought it in. Good stuff! (I do have a SMALL bone to pick, if so....lol!)

Back on topic....I've done organ trio on some straight-up jazz type stuff, but I may be trying it with some more eclectic material, soon.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Our keyboardist is a left handed, bass playin' mofo! We have actually played as a 3 piece in the past and it really sounded great. We played our normal songs. We may continue as a 3 piece this new year as the bass player situation has always been iffy.

10. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

That's me. I just wrote the text, but didn't do the transcriptions---they already existed in other books. I might have edited them to some extent, but can't recall. Paul Pappas or Jeff Jacobson probably did the transcriptions. I can take the blame though! LOL

Also back on topic, the eclectic stuff can work great. My guy prefers not to do the most straight ahead thing, opting for groove and patterns rather than lots of walking bass, though he can do it. So when we do standards, he tends to prefer using a Latin groove or an odd meter.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

That's us!

We are 100% original, mostly improvised. The organist does left hand bass and I also sometimes take over bass using an EH octave multiplexer.

Love this format! So does our new label (Ropeadope). I enjoy every show...

DS

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  12. Robertito

Robertito Member

I have a little band called the Big Boss Trio; in addition to standards, jazz tunes, and organ tunes, we do arrangements of Beatles, Pink Floyd, and other pop songs, some Scofield, Frisell, and Metheny, and occasionally we add a vocalist to do some things in the Allison Krause/Robert Plant vein.

13. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

So, is this with his arms crossed over each other, or with the keyboards reversed like Zawinul or Garth Hudson?!?!

I sat behind DeFrancesco once and it appeared as if the heel of his left hand was "super-glued" to one spot, so that when he was running bass and if a note in a line went out of "reach", he hit that note or notes with his foot. What it looked like to me anyway.

I've played with a fella up this way named Ken Clark, with equally talented left hand/left foot; he even brings a separate bass amp for that range (as if a Hammond and Leslie wasn't enough crap to bring to a gig!). Years back I played with another New England local, Duke Norman whose left-hand bass lines were so cool I would unconsciously stop playing to listen to him!

I like the idea of a keyboarder replacing the bassist in a gigging outfit, so long as he does not demand double pay!

14. Dexter.Sinister

Damn lysdexia....LEFT. Here:

[​IMG]

B3 on bottom, X3 on top with subbass activated for extra azzzz.

Duh, DS

15. papablue

papablue Member

As in the Ken Clark Trio??? Great sound.
    We do and have done 'Kmart Special' for so long now... 8 piece style though with horns leading the way....

16. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Member

in a quartet right now w/ the keys player doing left hand bass. doing lots of Soulive, Grey Boy Allstars. Battling through a Joshua Redman tune right (Sam Yahel is just ridiculous).

I'm enjoying for completely different reasons than having a bassist. On one hand our rhythm section is so much tighter because of less variables. I definitely see myself in more of a lead/texture mode than comping. But I somewhat miss some of the timbrel nuance that a real bass player (w/ strings) can offer. Not knocking our keys player, it's an awful lot of responsibility for one guy to take

joe

17. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

18. Dexter.Sinister

??? Joseph, less lucidological than usual, mang. 'sup?

DS

19. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

20. Dexter.Sinister