Anyone here run a compressor AFTER their entire dirt section?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Goodwood Audio, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

I'm curious.
    I'd like to explore the idea of using a compressor to give me a more level sound, however I want to retain as much picking dynamic as possible going into fuzz/OD etc.

2. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

If you want picking dynamic, then a compressor before your dirt may not be the best way to go. The whole point of a compressor is to even out the peaks and valleys.

Having a compressor afterwards, the tonal aspect of your picnicking dynamics will be heard, but you will have less volume fluctuations. This may be good, depending on what you want.

Take the Sweet Honey OD, with the compressor after it, picking soft and hard will give you the different tonal options and gain sounds, but the volume levels will be more even with each other. You pretty much, IMO, are letting the compressor do what its supposed to and be at its best.

If you place the compressor before the Sweet Honey ODt, your volume and picking dynamics are more leveled out, so therefore when it hits the SHOD, its not going to get the variations as much as when the compressor is after you dirt. With it before, you are giving your dirt pedals a more consistent level, as the compressor is going to bring up your soft picking and mellow out your harder picking attacks.

Depends on what you like and what you want. For me, I never understood people who would have these super dynamic drives and then slap a compressor before it. You lose a good chunk of your dynamics by doing that, at least IME.

I'm sure others feel different and have suggestions on a good way to set a compressor before dirt and retain good dynamics. I just have never found a good way to do ti, for the reasons listed above.

3. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I run RC to DriveTrain to Tone Press (Compressor) to Phaser.
    Experiment.

4. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

That.

5. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Lately I've been running mild dirt into compressor and then into fuzz. I like what the compressor does in front of the fuzz, and I'm not concerned about maintaining dynamics with the fuzz. I click it on when I want singing sustained solos.

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I run mine after, check my sig, got a pic linked.

7. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

I do, it keeps everything nice and level when snacking

8. TStrat99

TStrat99 Member

I just switched mine last week. My board now is wah-69-blues driver-ocd-Tone Press. I rarely use my compressor with dirt though. Almost always on for clean. I could never dial in a tone I liked going compressor into dirt. Figured I'd experiment with the compressor after. So far the jury's still out.

9. Fuzz Of Doom

Fuzz Of Doom Member

I put mine after to lower the noise floor and because I rarely use it with dirt anyway.

10. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

If it's good enough for Trey Anastasio...

11. groovington

groovington Member

I've been using 2 ts9s into a compressor for 10 years now. I would never do it another way. Keep the sustain dialed down below 12 o'clock and you still get some good picking dynamics, and you can control the amount of gain with your volume knob on your guitar. And whatever 2 overdrives (or more) you use in front of the compressor offer you different combinations of overdrive for so many different layers of sound. And when you want the ultimate sustain during solos, make sure you have both overdrive pedals on!

12. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

I am with Heady. My OS style comp follows my dirt and precedes my clean boost.

13. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

thisis weird i always tried my alesis 3630 with my dirt in front of it, today i just happend to put my pedal after it, and LIKED it better.

it just sounds better, the dynamics are not there, but i barely had time to **** with it, but i loved it.

not TOTALLY sure which way is better but i will find out tomorrow!:rotflmao

14. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Post dirt. Sound and sustain is better IMO.

LittleWagon likes this.
  15. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I've got my comp after my fuzzes but before overdrive. Might swap after everything and see what I think.

16. ogam

ogam Member

I placed my comp after all my fuzzes & overdrives. I tried it with a bicomp first but it alters the tone (darkens?) too much so now I'm using the Forest Green Compressor.

I can go from clean to full-on fuzz using the guitar's volume knob with my Sunface without a huge difference in volume.

17. elliott44k

elliott44k Member

By definition, a compressor should always go after the overdrive/distortion if you want a natural sounding drive from your pedals/amp, and not a synthetic one produced by the compressor.

A compressor takes the extreme volume peaks and brings them closer to center (depending on your settings), so if you want the driven sound to come through, you need to have the compressor after your gain stages. Obviously, there are ways around this as there are for most things, but this is general compression 101.

I have always used, timmy -> catalinbread dls v1 -> keeley 4 knob compressor. I always leave my compressor on for a consistent sound, it also lets me have extra sustain :).

18. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I ran my compressor after the dirt as well. I don't use a compressor now that I'm out of the funk band.

19. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

There is no definition about where a compressor should go, but only about what it does and how. The rest boils down to individual taste and experimentation: some like it in front, others after, others in parallel, and others sidechained (especially in the wider context of studio use). Personally, I like it after with a 25% or 50% dry blend, and I explain why in the given link to one of the older discussions.