Anyone here so rural your best internet option is dial-up?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jdogric12, May 5, 2016.

1. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

I have a couple friends in this situation. They live so remote they have been told they'll be the last ones in the US to have anything like broadband or FIOS. Anyone here in the same boat?

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Always HughesNet. $100 a month for baud speed!!

3. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

I just wouldn't bother with it if I had to live with dial-up, especially after coming from the 160mb/s I have now.

4. spunky

spunky Member

Almost.
    TW is my only option....and they've got me by the short and curlys.
    Oh....did I mention they suck? Turbo my *ss. $82/mo.

5. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

It's my understanding that Cox is the biggest high speed provider in the country.
    Guess what? They still suck.

6. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I got news for you, they all suck. In our houses in the boonies of Florida, the best we can do is dialup (max 3Mbps) or using my cell phone as a hot spot. Guess what, the cell phone is faster (6Mbps) and costs only costs $40/month since I have unlimited data. We pay less than that in LA for 24 Mbps fiber...

7. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

No, if dial up is an option you aren't that rural. Exede satellite is what I had up in the boonies and it was really really fast, 150 gigs for 150 dollars a month. Not cheap but very good.

8. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Reading books by candle light , while listening to faraway radio vs click, click, click.

84superchamp and Peteyvee like this.
  9. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

All ive got is Comcast - where customer service goes to die - or Sattellite - which rations your speed - so yes

10. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

Don't do it!! Worst customer service on the planet. I hope you have better luck than my Mom and I had. Dad passed away and trying to get the account closed was an absolute nightmare.

11. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Dialup doesn't go to 3mbps. Maybe you meant DSL?

12. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Yes, It's been so long, I forgot all about dialup being limited to 56K. Man, I remember when I first got a US Robotics 56K modem. I had a 486 DX100, 512 megs of RAM and a Seagate 2GB HDD and thought I was styling... :rotflmao Now I have 16GB of RAM, a 500 GB SSD and an i7 quad core @2.4Ghz and that's getting a little slow for some things, like multiple plug-ins in Logic...

sanrico likes this.
  13. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I used to have only that option. I don't really understand it, even my internet now comes thru the phone line so.....WTF?

14. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

Wow. Living in the city has it's advantages. When I joined this forum (PRS) back in the day I had cable internet at a blazing 1.5 MB and thought that was pretty cool. Never had to deal with dial up, except for the brief time between when ATTBI was bought by Comcast and it was free. Now after a brief dance with budget 7MB DSL in some bundle I'm back with Comcast 120 down/12 up, it's the best deal for the fastest speed in this area($83). 56K is dead, way dead. In a year and a half since I ditched the bundle and DSL and went back to cable my internet has never been down. Never. I'm not sure if I should hate comcast or love them, it seems it's fashionable to hate them.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  15. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i remember dialup..in the wee hours, watching music vids that took 30 minutes to DL. being rural is only part of it and i gotta toot my Amish horn again; with so many non-electric, non-telephone households, fiber optics will never come out here. in fact, most of the phones are in phone booths located at "major" rural intersections with the bicycle or horse & buggy parked nearby.

16. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

wait, dial-up still exists??!?

17. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i have to leech when checking my email on my iphone..lying in bed while typing a message then holding the phone high up to the window while it sends.