1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Anyone here sold an XTC and seriously regretted it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I can't tell you how many times I've changed my mind over this. Today I keep thinking it's gonna be a HUGE mistake. I don't need the extra money per se, but it would be nice.

I honestly do not have a clue what to do.

FWIW, I was thinking of replacing it with another Mark IV (which I loved) or an Einstein.

2. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

I highly recomend that you do what Olaf said on Rig talk. Buy yourself a Boogie Quad preamp and keep the Bogner. Use the bogners o/p section to drive the Boogie then you will have the best of both worlds.

3. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

No, I sold mine awhile back, and have no regrets. It's a great amp, but there are many great amps out there these days.

4. ejecta

ejecta Member

I think that is great advice.

5. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I would just get an Axe-Fx, this way you can make it sound like all the amps you want.

6. ejecta

ejecta Member

:rotflmao

7. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Interesting.

Buying MORE gear isn't really an option at the minute, as much as I would love to. I suppose I could always get a Shiva...

8. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

Funny; I had a Shiva and XTC at the same time. The Shiva always sounded better to me so I sold the XTC. Still have the Shiva.

9. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

What style do you play?

10. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

I like classic rock (Zep, UFO, Neal Schon etc) and blues the best. So for me, the XTC had more gain available than I normally needed. But...in the same range of gain, to my ears, the Shiva sounded more natural etc. The XTC didn't sound bad at all but I didn't play it much because my ears just liked the Shiva better. The clean channel on the Shiva was also much better than the XTC.

11. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

so I'm biased.:eek: To date, I've owned a Mako CHW, Egnater Mod50, CAE OD100SE+, various Mesa's (Mark I,III,IV, Single Recto, DC5's) and a Einstein. The XTC just gives me something no other amp does. This one will not be leaving. Lesson learned. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

12. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

You will regret selling the XTC ... I have sold them twice, now I am holding onto to the one I have (XTC Classic) ... always missed the sound I could get. Tons of tones in the XTC, if you get bored start flicking some switches and turning some knobs ...

13. Ricker

Ricker Member

The advice given so far is real bad :nono

Just hang in there another month and I will have my brand new 101b........
    I will give you a full review and then I will tell you if it's a bad decision to sell it....he he
    I have a Shiva aswell and some Budda superdrives lying around.

You're going through a painful time bro.........
    Have no fear...Ricker's 101b is near:dude

R

14. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Haha! I read the first part thinking "Wtf?!" :rotflmao

15. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I don't miss my XTC all that much -- tone was good, but not what I was wanting it to be, and it was a heavy bastard.

I liked my Shiva a lot as well, but not enough to keep it. Too sterile or hi-fi I guess, I just needed something a little more organic sounding. Bogners are great amps for a working musician and can do a lot, but the feel wasn't there for me. They record great and sound amazing live, I just couldn't get along with them.

16. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Same here, it's a nice amp to be sure..

But I found it to be too much amp, the head is huge and I don't think I ever used all three channels in one gig.

I'm a single channel, pedals and volume knob kinda guy.

I did keep the OS 212 though..best 212 EVARRR!! :AOK

17. illini

illini Member

The clean on the Shiva is very good. I could never quite get along with the Gain channel enough to pull the trigger. Sounded good, but I always wanted it to sound more like my Marshall.

18. Ricker

Ricker Member

I think the clean channel on the Shiva Flatters to decieve......
    Really compare it to a Blackface fender and it comes up short....in tone and feel.......

R

19. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

nah,bought a wizard ate the xtc for lunch....

20. illini

illini Member

I have a vibrolux that few amps can beat in the clean department for my taste.