Anyone here tried JJ with Tonebone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by katarzis, Mar 10, 2006.

1. katarzis

katarzis Member

2. 59model

59model Member

I tried it in my Hot British and my Classic and couldn`t really tell. Then for a laugh I tried a Telefunken smooth plate and still no difference to speak of. I`ve read threads where some can hear a difference, but personally I couldn`t, and it`s a pain in the but too, LOL!

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

Mine came with a JJ installed, so I couldn't tell ya a difference...

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

To start off with the Tube does not creat the distortion but it is in the circuit, when i swapped out the JJ with a 12AX7EH i found that the bass seemed tighter and the mids were slightly shifted so i feel it does alter the tone slightly.

5. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

In what way did the mids shift? More, less, different frequency?

6. Shaman

Shaman Member

From what the Radial guys told me several years ago jlagrassa's right on -- the distortion is SS and the tube is there only to provide saturation, not distortion. They also said swapping out tubes shouldn't change the tone at all, but my experience also suggests otherwise. Yeah, in most cases it was extremely subtle, especially when compared to swapping tubes in something like the SIB Varidrive (which is all about tube distortion). That said, I never popped a JJ into my 2002 HB (which came with an EH) -- only various NOS tubes.

7. Goku13

Goku13 Member

I had the old tonebone that had the JJ tube in it, and my friend broke it while trying to replace the awful footswitch, and ordered me a new one which has a different tube in it now (forgot which one).

I have to say the JJ sounded better to my ears...it was warmer and had a little more bass to it. The new one has the same tonal characteristics, but the treble is more brittle, and it is a lot less warm sounding.

8. eric-d

eric-d Member

I'm having this problem with my Classic... It works sometimes and other times it's really muted sounding... I mean it's barely audiable... Is there a way to resolve this?

9. Goku13

Goku13 Member

Yeah, the footswitch is a complete POS. I have gone through 3 hot british pedals because of it. I sent one of them back to canada for them to fix it, but it happens so frequently, it isn't worth the money and time spent sending the package back to canada. Ugh.

If you are good at soldering and know how to replace the switch you can do it yourself, but it is built kinda funky and I personally don't recommend it...at least take it to a tech. You can contact Radial and they will mail you replacement switches. Again, my electrical engineering friend tried to replace the switch on mine and wound up breaking it, so be careful.

It really is a shame cause the tonebone pedals sound fantastic but that footswitch is cheap cheap cheap!