Anyone here turned a Fender Super Champ into a head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockindillo, Jan 16, 2008.

1. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

I'm seriously considering building a new, smaller cab to take my '83 Super Champ, so I can use it as an amp head.

I love this little amp to death, but do find that as a 1x10 combo, the sound is rather thin and lacking in depth, wheras driving a 1x12 or 2x12 cab, it positively breathes fire and might even fill my yearning for a decent low-power amp for smaller gigs and save me splashing out on a Maz 18.

Anyone here done this? Does anyone make a suitable box to do this? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions all welcome!

2. mmorse

mmorse Member

I had a Super Champ and agree with you. When I put it through my 212 or 412, it sounded MUCH better. But why not leave it as is? It's not very big as a combo. Just use it as a head. That way you always have the option as using it as a grab and go when needed and set it on top of an external cab when you want it as a head.

3. kanderson

kanderson Member

Those things just seem to go up in value over the years. I'd personally do as mmorse suggested and leave it as is and just run it through the cabs. I guess you could have a custom head box made for it, but really why bother?

4. Navigator

Navigator Supporting Member

[I guess you could have a custom head box made for it, but really why bother?[/quote]

Because it just might be the coolest and most compact amp head you'd ever see! Seriously though, my buddy and I have been talking about the relative merits of doing this with our SCs. Small as the amp itself is, it would be that much more compact and light as a head (which matters when you gig in and around NYC). I probably won't bother myself, but I'd love to see the results if someone does it.

5. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

It's not quite what you mean, but check this out. these guys re-house anything and have a Pro Jnr head.

6. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

linkage?

7. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

8. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

These Vintone guys' stuff is the nuts! Thanks for the info. Bet it'd cost a bomb to ship to the UK, though!

9. FFTT

FFTT Member

Doug at Vintone has customers all over the world.
    Many are studio professionals.

His Simplex is the best improvement on a basic single ended class A
    you can find and like the Emery Sound Superbaby, allows for
    a multitude of tubes options.

If you order from Doug, patience is a must since he has quite a few customers in waiting and he is dead set on remaining a one man operation.

10. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I think doing what you're thinking about would just kick major butt!! Do it!!
    This has been one of the best moves I've made in my amp collection. I regularly play small to large clubs and any size concert venue with no problem. I have yet to turn the volume past 5 1/2 to hear myself on stage ,and I'm wearing earplugs.By the way, the cab is loaded with Weber 8" Ceramic Blue Pup 15 watt speakers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. FFTT

FFTT Member

That kit says pool party all over it, nice!

12. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Allen amps might have some cabs that will work, check with them.....

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

I think it would be a waste or time and money and in the end, for the slight difference in weight and size, you would loose the convenience of a little grab and package. The thing is already light and small and you can always plug it into any cab you want. My Boogie Mark IIC+ weighs 67lbs. and my Ampeg VL 503 weighs nearly 85lbs. You have it good already.

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Texsun, I've said it before and I'll say it again, that little Vibro-Champ piggyback kills!!

15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Thanks CC, It's been hanging gig wise. It's been my main amp for a while now with no problems.For it's portability, ability to have live, and the classic Fender tone it offers me, it's hard to beat. :D

16. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

I did this awhile back, it's a diagonal 2x10 ...

[​IMG]

17. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

What's with you Texas guys, coming up with these sick little killers?! :D

That's a keeper, showman!

18. 2555SL

2555SL Member

Good thread, and a cool idea. I`ve been thinking for quite some time now about doing just such a conversion to my SC. My plan is to avoid the classis black tolex Fender look, and custom build a head box out of some nice exotic hardwood with dovetailed corners, etc. How cool would that be? My old Super Champ dressed up like a Imbuya Boogie head, sitting on top of a 4x12 Marshall cab.

More importantly, for me anway, is to do the installation of a line-out speaker jack and test the SC through various cabs.

Anyway, here`s my post on the same subject from last June.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=256170&highlight=fender+super+champ

Cheers

19. 2555SL

2555SL Member

Because it just might be the coolest and most compact amp head you'd ever see! Seriously though, my buddy and I have been talking about the relative merits of doing this with our SCs. Small as the amp itself is, it would be that much more compact and light as a head (which matters when you gig in and around NYC). I probably won't bother myself, but I'd love to see the results if someone does it.[/quote]

Hey Navigator, agreed! Did you or your buddy get around to doing the conversion? I`d love to see the results too. It`s probably snowing in Gulf Hagas right now, but that`s another story.

Cheers

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Very nice setup showman. I like it a lot.:)