Anyone here use 9 gauge strings?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ibanez4life SZ!, Dec 10, 2008.

1. shawntp

shawntp Member

I use the hybrid set on my strat and Les Paul - its the low strings from a set of .10's and the higher 3 strings from a set of .09's (so .09-.46)

Great & light for upper neck bends but hold together great for chording. Best of both worlds is you are a light string player.

2. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

I've always used 9s. Occasionally I'll use 10s, but for me it's 9s.

3. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

After trying 10's on my Strat I think I'll go back to 9's and leave the 10's for my Gibsons. Now I just need to find a reasonably priced brand to stick with. I've been less than satisfied with D'addarios lately. I'd like to try some Gibson Vintage Reissue and Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. I've also heard good things about the Elixir Nanowebs. Any other recommendations?

4. sqadan

sqadan Member

I had been using the Gibson VR's on my Les Paul... but I use 10's and the VR 10's feel like other brands 11's. They are the stiffest 10's I have ever played.

I Just switched to D'addario Pure Nickel 10's and they are much nicer than the Gibson Strings. They ring better, and intonate better as well.

5. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I play 11's on most of my guitars because I like how they sound and the fact that you can beat on 'em pretty good.

I still have 9's on my old Charvel - partly because it's too much of a pain to readjust the Floyd Rose after putting on heavier strings, but mostly because the Charvel is a shred machine and 9's are unbeatable for shred. It's funny though...after getting used to 11's, I tend to WAY overshoot my bends, by as much as a full step, when playing 9's. Takes some getting used to.

6. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Yes 9's. My hands aren't very strong and so I even drop tune them on my Strat. I like being able to do minor third bends and I can practice way longer with them than 10's.

7. wreckfan

wreckfan Member

09-46's on my Les Paul / 09-42's on my Anderson drop top....

8. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

To my ears, a 9-42 set is more balanced tonally. Bigger strings sound too woofy.

My PRS's don't sound right with anything heavier than 9s. My strat sounds great with them.

I raised the action just bit, which allows me to get under them better.

Lotsa great players have used 9s.

9. Radax

Radax Member

9s until I found PRS 9.5s 8-10?? years ago, tuned down 1/2 step.

Mike:JAM

10. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I've always been 10's tuned down 1/2 step. The other day I tuned down a full step and liked the feeling so I might go for 9's and 1/2 step down. On my esquire and les paul. It seems I do this song and dance every few years where I go between 9's, 10's and 11's on all my guitars and usually end back with 10's. But lately my hands have been getting a bit sore and I think I'm playing with a softer touch now (less ham fisted?) so I'll go 9's and check it out.
    ;)

11. kevkyle39

kevkyle39 Member

I always liked ernie ball hybrid slinky's (46-09) on my prs ce-22, I have a 66 melody maker( sg body) that feels right with 9's and then I have a lp that feels right with 10's or 11's. In my experience it depends on the guitar.

12. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Bigger strings, better tone?
    WRONG, I did my own research on that one and found that bigger strings/harder to bend/ a tiny bit bigger tone but not anywhere as much difference as having a 'normal' action, not low and buzzing.

actions where its at, try raising the action a little on your 009 strung axe and it sounds great, specially through an old Marshall metalpanel :AOK

13. Loobster

Loobster Member

Can't stand 9s. I find the tonal difference between 9s and 10s like night and day, especially with single coils. 10s sound wayyy warmer and more present to me. I use 10-52s in standard. 11s to me lose some of the sparkle and the G always feels like a telegraph wire.

14. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I've been a 10-46 player for years. Before that I used 11-49s for a long time. I always believed that bigger string = better tone but I think I was wrong about this. A lot of my favorite players use or used light gauge strings - Frank Zappa, Glenn Titpon and KK Downing, Tony Iommi, Billy Gibbons, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Steve Vai, Yngwie (hybrid light tops/heavy bottom), EVH (hybrid lights as well) - the list goes on. Also, as of late I've just been wanting more comfort and ease when I play, so I've switched totally over to 9-42s on all my 10 electrics, regardless of scale length, except my archtop which is strung with 13s for Jazz playing. 9s sounds great and feel awesome - I feel like my playing is more articulate and less forced than before. The tone is also a little clearer and a bit snappier IMO too - I'm a total convert.

15. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

9-42s for over 30 years. Love em'

16. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

9-42.........have used them since i started playing. hated 10s when I tried them, no life to them

17. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I played 10s and 11s for years. Then I developed carpal tunnel and had to switch to 9s. So everything is strung with 9s now and I get along just fine.

18. paul1122

paul1122 Member

I always liked the 9s, but I jump around. 11 is the highest I go.

19. muddyshoes

muddyshoes Member

everysince- ernie ball super slinkys are it. acoustics i like something heavier 10 or 11, an i havent settled on anything. but d-addarios keep coming back

20. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

I have used Ernie Ball 9's for at least 20 years, I've tried other brands/gauges at times and keep coming back to the Pink Pack... use them on everything except my Gretsch which gets Ernie Ball 10's