Anyone here using a wet dry rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ed Reed, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I finally took the leap. Mine is simple but so far I'm happy with the results. I'm using a Palmer PDI-09 for a direct signal and a TC M1 for reverbs delays and a Carvin DCM 150 running mono into a Mesa Boogie 1-12. Not too big.

What about your rig? Any suggestions for mine?

2. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I may give it a try, my power amp overdrive makes my effects a little muddy. Backing down on, and EQing the effects helps, but I'm thinking the wet/dry, with a clean power amp, will sound more defined ... is that the case?

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Right now I can see the cleans is where this will shine. Big wide tones. I'm just now experimenting, we'll see about ods.

4. Randy

Randy Supporting Member

I just got an amp that has no loop and am thinking of trying this route to get some verb and delay. I was debating getting the Palmer or a Redbox or possibly a CAE line out box in order to get a send for my effects, but I think I'll just get a Hotplate and use its line out instead. The extra volume control the attenuator will provide should be worth the extra $.

How do you like the Carvin?

5. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

For my UG30 R, I've put all my pedals in front and it works well, but I want the amp's tone for my looper (Boomerang) so I put a Palmer PGA04 between the amp and speaker and take the line out to the Rang to a power amp to separate cab. It works really well. Of course, I could put any of the other effects in that setup, but I'm doing fine with the pedals in front as I get my lead tones from pedals and I put time based eff (dly mainly, occ chr) after the lead pedals.

jon

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I use a MASS or Hotplate to send line-level dry signal to a rack with a Rocktron Replifex, a BBE Sonic Maximizer and a MosValve power amp. Send the output to a pair of Divided by 13 1x12s with some custom Weber Alnico Blue Dogs. Love the sound...not the schlep.

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Bluesdoc, So far so good on the Carvin. I did some research first and found several people using it and they all liked it. Bradshaw also recomends it (like I know him).

Randy, What some of the pros do is use a mic and a pre (Apex 107 sp?) you can pick them up on ebay for around 100 or so. I used the Palmer because I had it already.

here's a pic

[​IMG]

8. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

9. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

i've been doing wet/dry for a couple of years & think it sounds awesome.
    i started doing it after seeing mike landau several times & then talked to him & bob bradshaw to find out how to go about it. my signal goes guitar> pedals> amp> mic on amp> aphex 107> lexicon mpx1> marshall 8008 ss power amp> 1x12 wet cab. i run mono for two reasons - 1) most of the p.a. systems i play through are mono & 2) i don't want to carry another cab
    if you buy the gear used & keep the rig small, like jakeddy, it can sound great & be alot of fun to play through.

10. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I'm glad no one laughed at it. :p

This was made up of stuff I had laying around anyway, except the power amp. So I didn't realize that much of an investment.

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Carvin?? Me?? :confused:

jon

12. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

make that Randy......

13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I am looking to get into this.

I am contemplating getting a California Blonde. I would like to put it on it's side under my Tophat combo. I plan on taking a line out via a Weber Mini Mass from each amp, hitting each channel of the amp with the signal from each amp. I use the Savage 1/2 stack for cleans and I torture the Tophat combo for Crunch/Lead tones. I have a TC Electronics D2 for ambience, I plan on putting it in the loop and there you go. Here is my question, does a full range wet side work better in general for live work? I like the tones that I am getting in my studio with a full range setup for my Delay. Here in the studio, I use a Ibanez AD-100 Analog delay. I get great results. What say you? M.E.

This is my full rig. The Junior pictured is my no.1.

[​IMG]