Anyone here who doesn't like Alnico Blue speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Han Solo, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Actually I'm talking about a Weber Blue Dog (Alnico) which should be similar.
    I recently got one (used) and used it with a Bandmaster and a Maven Peal Zeeta and didn't dig it at all. Both sound way better to my ears with a Weber 12F150. Clean sounds fine but with some gain there's some compression/break-up going on not at all to my liking. I'm guessing I'm more used to clear efficient speakers. Anyone know what the efficiency rating for a Alnico Blue/Blue Dog is?

2. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

i just got a 30w blue dog and I really dig it. It gives good clean and dirty sounds.

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I think Alnicos tend to mush out sooner, and don't hold up to gain very well, getting too compressed for my tastes. I'm a ceramic man for the most part, UNLESS I'm playing totally clean parts, then the alnicos have a certain airy tone to them along with some upper mid chime.

But I don't play really clean very often...so the ceramic magnet speakers get the nod...

4. kodecar

kodecar Member

I have a set of the 15W Celestions in a 212 Avatar cab that I just can't get used to.

I do really like the cleans but once you start to get some drive going, they sound kind of thin/harsh/fizzy. I have ran 4 different amps through them and even tried running a clean amp w/ pedals and I just can't get into the driven tones of these.

I even have gone so far to have my Matchless serviced thinking that I had some sort of an amp issue.

I thought that these would really be the ticket for the C-30 but no way. I have since swapped the chassis into a 112 combo cab with a Scumback 65w speaker and haven't looked back.

5. radvra

radvra Guest

I can't vouch for the Blue dogs or celestion blues, but the emminence Alnico blues that come stock in a Fender Bassman were always too brittle sounding, and downright harsh when compared to the ceramic magnet Jensen RI's I replaced (bottom 2) them with. I prefer 12's...Celestion 30's and greenback 25's, and the anniversary G1230H's are quite good (V30 with a bigger magnet/better low end). My VOX AC-30 runs greenbacks and an ext. cab with (2) G1230H...very warm. Thought about 12' blues...but low power and high price...couldnt justify.

6. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I need to swap it for a good ceramic speaker.

7. Nativ H

Nativ H Member

I'm not surprised as Alnico Blue Dogs, and Alnico Silver Bells, are an acquired taste IMHO and work best in open back combo's for lighter overdriven applications. I love both of those speakers in a 2x12 combo nonmastervolume Marshall like a BB or 50 watt combo that is mostly used for stuff like AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Cult type tones. Heavier overdrive just overcompresses them and they lose their livelyness. And I've never liked them in closed back cabs but that is just my experience.

For heavier stuff and closed back cabs, I tend to go for G12H30's or cast frame Fanes, so that should indicate what I think sounds good. :D

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

I crank the hell out of my Hayseed through a pair of Celestion Blues, and I love it. Great overdrive characteristics, with a ton of definition. I guess it depends on your setup, though. I mainly play a BurstBucker Pro treble pickup through mine, though I sometimes play a set of Fender CS Texas Specials for cleans.

Everyone hears tone differently. Don't feel bad if you don't like what you're hearing.

9. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have only heard the celestion blue in an EL84 amp (a few amps). I am not a fan. I prefer ceramic speakers...

I know I am probably in the minority.

10. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I prefer ceramic speakers myself...

11. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I'm probably in the minority but I only like the blue alnicos with Vox ac30's, old selmers, old marshalls and in similar cloner amps.

I really don't dig them in american amps (vintage ones anyway like Fender or Ampeg) at all and even in Matchless or Badcat amps I prefer the ceramic probably because of the difference in matchless filtering vs. Vox

Also for some reason old pairs of celestion alnicos always sound better to my ears than the new celestion version - not sure if this is just psychological or the 40 years of wear thing but I always seem to prefer the old ones especially the grey bell celestions.

For what I have used them for I am a fan of the alnico bulldog.