Anyone in Dallas Want to Try a Maven Peal Howler?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratovarius, Jan 13, 2008.

1. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I received one of the prototypes a couple of days ago and Dave would like some feedback. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with OD's and have a limited options for trying it out. If someone would like to get together to give this thing a try, please let me know. It would be nice if you have any well known OD's or maybe some different guitars to try it with (I have a Strat). PM me.

2. onemind

onemind Member

OT... Are you using it with a Maven Peal amp? How does it sound with the strat?

3. stratovarius

It's been an extremely rough year financially for me, so all of my Maven Peal amps are gone and I'm down to just one guitar, a Kinman loaded Partscaster.

I've never really quite figured out how to use a light OD for bedroom use - it seems like maybe they are more appropriate for live band situations, but I rarely get to do that. The Howler is working out much better for me in that regard.

At this point the only light OD's I've tried have been an OD-820 and an SS2. The Howler is lower gain than either of those, but it is also much quieter and more transparent. I am able to get more use out of it at low volumes than either of those others because it thickens the tone without getting muddy or honky.

None of the controls get extreme. Overall the pedal seems to be all about nuance and subtlety. The frequency response seems pretty flat to my ears and the tone control is usable over a broad range without radically altering the basic timbre of the guitar. The clipping is relatively light - just enought to fatten things up. It works well with a Strat.

The peal (sag) control works well at smoothing out the attack and adding some sustain. It isn't the extreme sustain of a high gain distortion or fuzz, but what it does do, it does without sacrificing dynamics.

Dave told me he was working to keep the noise levels low, so there is not a lot of boost available. Depending upon where the peal control is set, it can be necessary to have the gain relatively high in order to get any appreciable boost using the volume control.

I've never had much luck stacking pedals, but I am getting some surprising results by running my higher gain pedals into the Howler. It effectively removes the brittleness and fizziness without taking away any of the bite. It makes my fuzz pedals sound huge and I am able to get amazing amounts of controllable bloom with just a little finger vibrato.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd love to try it out, but I'm in Wisconsin, sorry. I've done a few reviews for the "Tourbox threads" and have a lot of ODs to compare to. Oh well, perhaps I'll get a chance to try one later...

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I should receive my Howler today and intend to try it with a MP Ganesha & strat among other things. Unfortunately, I don't have too many OD's to compare right now. I do have a few but not any of the usual boutiques.

6. HBob

HBob Member

How long are you going to have it? I'm swamped with work right now but I'd like to give it a try if I can work it out. I have several ODs I could bring. Would it be best to bring low gain ODs for comparison? Thanks!

7. stratovarius

I bought it so it isn't going anywhere. I'd definitiely like to try it against other OD's. PM me when you can.

8. onemind

onemind Member

Finally getting to try the Howler through the Ganesha head today. It's everything David said, reminds me a bit of an SS2 or a Klon, but different in feel, the 'Peal' control really is analogous to the sag control on the head. This one he tells me is of a newer batch with quite a bit more gain, so I'm getting some very nice creamy lead tones as well. Will add more thoughts later, can't wait to try it into the Ganesha 'dirty' as well as into some of my other favorite pedal platforms.